cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile connections

N/A

Mobile connections

Hi All,

OK I have ADSL and now I want to use that account while mobile via my orange cell phone and a laptop. What number due I use to access my account ?? and are there any stuff I need to know about mobile connections ??

Nokia 6310I and Compaq 2100 laptop Athlon2500M 256 Mb 30 GIG Winxp Home

Thx in advance

PS Can you connect using GPRS Huh
5 REPLIES
N/A

Mobile connections

First off, yes you can connect via your mobile.

All the connection numbers are provided on THIS page. Both the "Roaming number" or the "Mobile access number".

As for GPRS, no you can't.

GPRS is a service supplied by your Cellphone services provider.

There are usualy plenty of resources available on the internet for connecting via your GPRS enabled handset.
Community Veteran

Mobile connections

Orange do provide a GPRS connection, though it is extremely expensive: £4/mb on payg. Cry

Thomas
N/A

Mobile connections

Try Orange's High Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD) to connect, which should, in theory, connect you at 28.8K (although I rarely get this, its normally drops back to 19.2K) and is faster than GPRS. You will need to contact Orange to activate HSCSD and they will give you a data telephone number for your mobile
But be warned, HSCSD is using two lines for any connection over 14.4K and they are in addition to your contract monthly minutes on payg.

Try the following initialisation commands within the modem properties

AT+CBST=16,0,1+CHSN=4,0,12
or
AT+CBST=80,0,1+CHSN=4,0,12

The first is 28.8k V.34, the second is 28.8k V.110 (ISDN)
If that doesn't work, try 19.2k by using 15 and 79 respectively.
It's a bit of suck it and see but I normally get it my various dial-ups to work using these combinations.

How are you going to connect your Nokia to your Compaq, Bluetooth, IR or cable?
Community Veteran

Mobile connections

I disagree, HSCSD isn't necessarily faster than GPRS... GPRS reaches up to 37.5Kb. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Mobile connections

I suppose my statement was a bit too simplistic.
At the time Orange launched their GPRS product I was doing some work there and I asked what was the best method for data download/email. I was told, and my understanding is pretty basic, GPRS speed varies depending upon the number of users using the base station you are attached to, whilst HSCSD is fixed to the speed negotiated when dialling. Thus during peak times ie day, HSCSD is likely to be faster than GPRS.
They felt HSCSD was more suitable, because I’m using it in bursts to get my email and the promise of 28.8k. Thats the theory. In reality 19.2k is the norm and 28.8k is a rare beast, but would I have got better connection speeds with GPRS?