cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading advertising?

N/A

Misleading advertising?

It is a shame that PN have gone down the same route a Yahoo and many other ISP's by apparently low cost ADSL products.

Great news, broadband products drastically reduced, only £14.99 for a 1mb!!!! WoHoo! But then,, subject to a 1gb monthly bandwidth limit.

So in fact, it's not your old 1mb product at all, it's a revamped, downgraded version of your 1mb.

Bad show PlusNet - I though you guys stood for more than that.

tut tut
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Misleading advertising?

I don't think PlusNet implied it was their old 1Mb product. They are offering a new 1Mb service for £14.99.
N/A

Misleading advertising?

How I read the banner...

"twice as fast - new low price"

new low price means - the SAME service was a higher price, but if it's a new service then it's now a NEW price.

Twice as fast as a 512kb but a substantially reduced bandwidth allowance - which didn't exist before. The previous "lower price" product has P2P restrictions, nothing more.

Add the premium fee and PN are now more expensive than Yahoo & Wanadoo - what's happening there!?

I hope that PN are not going to try this tactic with us business customers!?!?!
richard-
Grafter

Misleading advertising?

Why do you not set the limit to something like 10GB a month for £14.99 you
would get the customers rolling in then
N/A

Misleading advertising?

I think they want to make money. Crazy!

Moderators note (John) Quote removed as it was just a complete copy of the previous post.
N/A

Misleading advertising?

agree with Westleigh sounded good till you look into the actual detail!!
csogilvie
Grafter

Misleading advertising?

Previous price: 19.99 (or something, can't remember what)
New Low Price: 14.99

seems reasonable to me as the 14.99 is the new price, and is lower than the old price ?
N/A

Misleading advertising?

It was just worded wrong on the banner is all. :roll:
N/A

Misleading advertising?

what happens if you DO go over ur limit? how much do +N charge? cos this could be a factor that ppl would choose an isp on?

also why the introduction of capps?? we finaly get ADLS in this country *(where others have ADSL2 / SDSL / FFTH)* and instead of using it for its full potential we are already killing it just as it begins to grow.. whyHuh?
N/A

Misleading advertising?

This is from the PN FAQ section - I thought it easier to quote it, rather than provide a link, as it's a large amount of info and we only need a small bit.

Pay as you use - if you use more than your included bandwidth we will not block your access to the Internet or restrict your speeds. Instead you can just use extra as you need it and you will be billed for your extra bandwidth usage on your subscription payment. Extra bandwidth is charged at a different price depending on your connection speed:

Speed > Price per GB
512k > £1.90
1MB > £2.00
2MB > £2.10

Aaron
N/A

Misleading advertising?

why do they charge more for the same amount of bw used? surly it should get cheeper as the line has been used for less time the faster ur line is.. also its easier to go over ur limit as u get a faster line :S
N/A

Misleading advertising?

Yes ,they charge less if you buy the bandwidth up front.

If bandwidth was charged at the same rate, where would the insentive be to buy bandwidth up front?

Lots of companies allow you buy up at a cheaper rate, look at mobile phones. If you buy up 120 texts before you use then, they give you a discounted rate.

Besides it better to be realistic about your usage when choosing your options, you can save money that way. Cheesy
N/A

Misleading advertising?

I think a lot of this is to do with the fact that people dont see that there are a lot of people out there that have broadband but dont use it much and so wouldnt go over the bandwidth cap. To these people these products will save them money while loosing nothing.

On the other hand what isp's like PN dont seam to take into account is that when people get faster lines they start doing more and more things with that line such as watching streaming video etc.. this would easily push users over the limits. I do think that with the higher speed lines the BW allowence should be higher as well.

So to break it down the light users that dont do much will save money as pn cuts it profit margins on these users (£8.50 for the bt wholesale line and the rest for bandwidth and profit), while the heavy users pay the same as we cost PN more of their profit share so probably after bandwidth cost them more than the limited bw packages cost.

As far as im concerned if I want to download 20gig a day for flat rate I can and will, I dont mind paying a reasonable premium for this though, and belive me its quite possable to download that much LEGALY before anyone starts flaming about that.
N/A

Hmm

I think it's a shame that the premier option on the 1meg option is £15, if I had the 1mb I wouldn't be downloading anymore than I do now.
N/A

Misleading advertising?

theshiers, what exactly do you mean by your last reply?

1Mb premier is £29.99 , where as the first rung on the ladder for 1Mb is £14.99 with 1 GB.

Aaron