cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirc and DSL

N/A

Mirc and DSL

Since signing up to +Net I can't use Mirc. I have McAfee Firewall and Win XP.
Does anyone use Mirc with +Net and did you need to change anything to get it going?
14 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

I've not had problems with any IRC client, including mIRC. What's the specific problem, what happens when you try to connect? And have you tried connecting to different servers?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Mirc and DSL

First if your using a router / ICS etc then you will have to map some ports.

IN TCP 6660 too 6669
IN UDP 113

Also depends on when it fails, if it just fails to connect then probally the 113 port is blocked, most IRC servers require to see the ident port.

Next check that the IP listed in Options:Connect:Local Info is your IP, if your lan IP then try the other settings and or manually enter your public IP
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Mirc and DSL

Also it is worth checking that your IP assigned to you can be reversed look up.. goto www.whois.co.uk and lookup your IP address. if it doesnt have a resolved name (not sure what it is, usually something like 1234-dsl.plus.com or username.plus.com) then you will be unable to connect to most irc servers as they require your IP to be served by a name server. When i first signed up to plusnet connect my static Ip wasnt reversible, so i just kept changing it until I got one with a name, then after a few days it changed to myusername.plus.com. Cool eh Smiley On DSL you may be able to ask them to keep changing it until you get a proper address.. but I would try the other peoples suggestions first :!:

**edit - without being too intrusive I have just looked your IP up from your username and it is a *proper* one. So it's gonna be one of the other problems
N/A

Mirc and DSL

You havn't told us what error message you get while tryind to connect to a IRC server.

However, this being said, it strongly sounds like a firewall issue.

Once we know the error message, we will know more.
N/A

Mirc and DSL

hmm my mIRC is working fine with my SAR 110 with the exception of DCC. last couple times i tried dcc send my modem's diag led came on and i had to shut it off and on again.
Community Veteran

Mirc and DSL

I have found that some servers refuse to accept you from Plusnet Cry but others work no problem. :lol:
You may have to try a few to see which will accept you. :!:
N/A

Mirc and DSL

you dont say if you are using a router or modem or what the error is. I use Mirc on a router and modem on the router you only need to port forward 113. The only problems with Mirc is if you want to run a fileserver then you need to forward the other ports if you have a router
N/A

Mirc and DSL

Basically, it keeps trying to connect but times out every time. I have left it running for a while to see if it connects, but it doesn't. The IRC network is set to Random, but still no joy.
N/A

Mirc and DSL

One more thing, I am using a PCI modem.
Community Veteran

Mirc and DSL

Ok which server and has it ever worked before?

It might not be working. Especially if your joining a set of servers eg ETG / quakenet etc that load balance and your trying to join a server that is being DoS'ed/down or your DNS is failing to see.

So if its one of those just join the main IP eg irc.enterthegame.com irc.quakenet.org etc not one of the local servera that you have joined before.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Mirc and DSL

The current server is irc.eu.dal.net. It keeps trying to connect, but times out after a few seconds. The last time I used it was a while ago when I was still using dial up with BT and this was fine.
N/A

Mirc and DSL

You will find this is dalnet at issue.

Ever since the major attacks soem months back, servers are using closed I-lines.

I sugest visiting the Dalnet website and getting the list of server to use from there.

IRC is a service, and not a right. This is used as the MOTD for many servers. They don't have to provide you the service.

Many servers limit access to a select few ISPs who they have aggrements with.

There are some networks that provide no access to some ISPs, due to the abuse form them, and the fact they can't get repsonce from the ISP.
N/A

Mirc and DSL

Thanks for all your help but all of a sudden it is now working, this after 2 weeks of tring different things.

Cheers for the suggestions.
Community Veteran

Mirc and DSL

The current server is irc.eu.dal.net. It keeps trying to connect, but times out after a few seconds. The last time I used it was a while ago when I was still using dial up with BT and this was fine.

arcor.de.eu.dal.net
ced.se.eu.dal.net
matrix.de.eu.dal.net
mozilla-r.se.eu.dal.net
powertech.no.eu.dal.net

those are the current euros, irc.eu.dal.net isn't alive anymore, get the current list from http://www.dal.net/servers/index.php3