Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum SNR

Griffo
Grafter

Minimum SNR

Hey all,

Just wondering if it's possible to get the minimum SNR on your connection increased to say 9dB? As I think 6dB is too low for mine and I'm not getting above 512k just lately! Has anyone managed to get theirs altered?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Minimum SNR

Hey all,

Just wondering if it's possible to get the minimum SNR on your connection increased to say 9dB? As I think 6dB is too low for mine and I'm not getting above 512k just lately! Has anyone managed to get theirs altered?

After being maxed my line was unusable and a fault was raised with BT. This took too long but after discussion with the BT engineer we agreed that the best figure would be 12dB. The error rate in the eveing indicates a very large increase in the noise on the line. see http://www.soroban.co.uk/routerstats/errors_maxdsl.htm I know the SNR value fuctuates over nearly 6dB during this time but I have no easy way of plotting it.

All was well until 3 july when BT suddenly reduced it to 6dB again with the predictable result.

I raised a ticket which seemed to be ignored 9the automated tests reoprted a fault) until I started a thread in ADSL guide. David Tomlinson arranged for the threshold to be raised, but it was only raised to 9dB. Since then I have been PLEADING (yes moderators I am shouting) to have it put back to 12dB but, so far, with no success.

I have had the ticket open for 13 days now - good luck in trying to get it raised. Plusnet used to be the most responsive and helpful ISP but this does not seem to be the case anymore unfortunately.
N/A

Minimum SNR

You can force a higher target margin yourself by unplugging/plugging back in the ADSL line (do NOT power cycle the modem) until you see the startup sync change to the value you want - it will take about a dozen re-syncs to do this.
Griffo
Grafter

Minimum SNR

Thanks guys!

I've done a fualt test three times now on the site and all three have failed. PN have achknowledged this and have forward the results to the relevant party to be analised so the ticket states, so we shall see what comes of that Smiley
N/A

Minimum SNR

Thanks guys!

I've done a fualt test three times now on the site and all three have failed. PN have achknowledged this and have forward the results to the relevant party to be analised so the ticket states, so we shall see what comes of that Smiley

This is exectly what happened to me on 3 July.

By the way the ADSL forum seems to be the best way to get support from Plusnet these days. I have not had much success through the ticket system as all my recent requests appear to have been ignored. Several Plusnet staff frequent that forum and seem to be in a position to take some action. I received a comment this evening, via a private message, that Plusnet would be referring my problem back to BT.
N/A

Minimum SNR

Several Plusnet staff frequent that forum and seem to be in a position to take some action. I received a comment this evening, via a private message, that Plusnet would be referring my problem back to BT.

Which is a shame, because while what they do is very much appreciated and off their own backs so to speak, they have an entire CSC for this purpose.
Griffo
Grafter

Minimum SNR

Thanks guys!

This is exectly what happened to me on 3 July.

By the way the ADSL forum seems to be the best way to get support from Plusnet these days. I have not had much success through the ticket system as all my recent requests appear to have been ignored. Several Plusnet staff frequent that forum and seem to be in a position to take some action. I received a comment this evening, via a private message, that Plusnet would be referring my problem back to BT.

It seems that is the way mine is looking now. PN have been investiagting and I have been told PN won't switch customers back onto IPStream fixed line products!