cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration question

N/A

Migration question

Ok this may sound stupid but isnt just signing up with another ISP and then cancelling your old ISP account easier than going through the migration process? Or is there something im missing? Im guessing that its different with dialup where you can just change easily.

Sorry was bored and started to wonder about it. :lol:
4 REPLIES
N/A

Migration question

I'm beginning to feel the same way. Sad

I applied to switch from BT to Plus on the 20th Jan and as yet nothing has happened and although I keep posting questions to them, no one from Plus has bothered to reply until last night when my query was updated with "moved to new pool", whatever that means.

As I took my original BT ADSL out on the 7th of a month it looks like I am going to have to pay another £27.99 in line rental, unless they get a move on!.
N/A

Migration question

Migration is for people that don't want any downtime on there connection.

If you cancel, it can take over a week to cancel the line, that is provided you have fulfilled any contractual obligations with your current ISP.

After that, it can take anything from a day to six weeks for BT to update the line database, such that you can order ADSL on the line again.

That is potentialy 7+ weeks of downtime.

Whereas migration sees a smooth rollover to the new ISP. Though some ISPs like BT Openworld will disable your login before the migration, so you could see a few days without.
N/A

Migration question

You have to also advise your current ISP that you want to migtrate away from them. If you do not, the process may stall. If your current ISP has not recieved an authorisation from you to migrate, they are in their rights to ignore requests from +net.

You cannot have more than one ADSL connection on a single line. Before migration, your DSL had to be disconnected from the old ISP and then reconnected to the new. This could have taken weeks. So, you cannot open a new dsl account before ceasing the first.
N/A

Migration question

Ah ok cheers Smiley