cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from AOL

N/A

Migration from AOL

Finally decided to do something about changing ISPs and signed up with PlusNet 30th June. Obtained the MAC code without much hastle I suppose and have now gone through the first 2 steps - current stage is now "Activating Your Line". I keep checking emails to see when the line is going to be activated awaiting the green light so to speak. Having not done this before I am wondering if I need to uninstall my modem drivers once my AOL Broadband connection has been dropped. I currently have a BT Voyager 100 Broadband modem (kindly provided by AOL) which has worked flawlessly using drivers provided originally by AOL. The reason I ask is that BT lists 2 modem drivers for the Voyager 100 http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb100/pcdownload.htm. I suspect I may have to uninstall the original AOL driver and install the BT driver listed in the link above.

So after the migration am I right to assume that

the modem will request a username and password after the PC boots up
or will I need to start a web browser before submitting username/password?
or will I need to manually set up the modem beforehand?

Sorry if this sounds so basic - just don't want any unforeseen hitches on moving day. Cheesy
5 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Migration from AOL

Yes, you will need to. This is because of the way the AOL software interacts with the modem. It is also because AOL requires an MTU Size of 1400, where as PlusNet's is much higher. I would personally wait until broadband stops working and then do that, but download the new drivers now to avoid going onto dialup to do so.
N/A

Migration from AOL

Yes, you will need to. This is because of the way the AOL software interacts with the modem. It is also because AOL requires an MTU Size of 1400, where as PlusNet's is much higher. I would personally wait until broadband stops working and then do that, but download the new drivers now to avoid going onto dialup to do so.

Thought so - have already downloaded the non-AOL drivers ready for the day. Thanks for confirming I'm not going round the bend. Anything else I should be aware of? :lol:
craigbrass
Grafter

Migration from AOL

Apart from the 20 mins of downtime you should experiance when BT switch you over, no.

Make sure you uninstall all AOL software aswell for that added bonus of 500% speed increase *winks*
N/A

Migration from AOL

Make sure you uninstall all AOL software as well for that added bonus of 500% speed increase *winks*
Am looking looking forward to the next round of add/remove - be interesting to see just how resources free up afterwards.

Thanks for your advice Tongue
craigbrass
Grafter

Migration from AOL

Hey, no problem, I have gotten 2 people off AOL so far this year, they were amazed how fast their computers were after removing the AOL software.