cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration. Seamless?

N/A

Migration. Seamless?

Hi there,

Client of ours has asked us to investigate the possibility of migrating from BT to +net.

They have stipulated that the migration must be seamless as they cannot afford any downtime for web access and email.

Breif chat with BT state that it will not be seamless but I know that they do not want to lose the account and from past experience I know that they might be strangers to the truth in such matters.

Anyone have experience of this and can offer some advice?

Thanks

Mark
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Migration. Seamless?

I migrated on 30th Dec from BTO. No loss of service apart from the few minutes it took to change my routers login/password to PlusNet. I was on IPStream Home 500 but it may depend on what service they are on - Business accounts may be different.

The only issue I have with BTO is getting the refund for the part of the month I did not use - 2 months and many phone calls and unanswered emails later I am still waiting.

Anyway I made sure BTO were aware of my migration plans via email to their billing dept. I got the CBUK number from my line from BTO customer services (you need this for the migration). I emailed BTO billing and said I wanted to Migrate to PlusNet. I signed up to PlusNet specifying it's a migration and entering CBUK code.

PlusNet then requested a migration from BTO to themselves. I received an email to confirm this from BTO which I replied to confirming I the migration was genuine. Was given a migration date (you must get this) from BTO which I then told PN via contact us and PN confirmed the migration had been accepted for that date. Then waited 4 weeks for the migration date and all went well.

I made sure I new what was happening at each stage and made sure both ISPs also new. Any info I got from one I passed on to the other.
N/A

Migration. Seamless?

HI Peter,

Thanks very much for that.

If I follow the same procedure as you then it would appear to be a fairly straight forward job.

Here's hoping anyway.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Best regards

Mark
Community Veteran

Migration. Seamless?

Also you don't lose access to your BTO email accounts - I still use mine to contact BTO billing and complaints :x . My account was just downgraded to paygo dial-up so the email was not removed - this was automatic but you may need to confirm this just in case.

Changing email addresses is not always painless - is this what they intend to do as well?

Then of course there's BT itself... That certainly is an unknown Wink
N/A

Migration. Seamless?

Hi Peter,

No. They use a domain email currently hosted elsewhere, tho the intention would be to move this to plus net along with the hosting of their websites.
Although, as the sites are business critical and bearing in mind the current problems and the fact that hosting and email are evidently not of primary concern for plusnet at the mo, I dont think I will be recommending they take that particular course.

Thanks again for your advice.

Mark