cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating in from Tiscali! Few things..

N/A

Hi, Im just migrating in fromt Tiscali at last.

Hope this is a good move.

Im currently just inside the line thinggy figures for 1mb with tiscali so hopefully ill be put on 1mb with plus!

How long does this migration process usually take?

Thanks
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If you are not currently on 1mb you will not be able to get 1mb straight off you will have to wait for the mop up regrades or pay an exta £14.99
N/A

I am currently on 1mb! Cool
Community Veteran

Then you should stay on 1mb. Forgot to say - welcome to the forums
N/A

Thanks, Hopefully i wont have to post here as much as i did with Tiscali!

How long will my migration take? Just gonna check my order status!
Community Veteran

Migrations normally take 5 -> 7 days.

I assume you are on one of the few BT IPStream tiscali products as Tiscali are primarily a datastream provider and there is no migration path from datastream to IPStream, although a trial is underway.
N/A

I hope so! :shock:
Community Veteran

Have Tiscali given you a MAC code (Migration authorisation code)? if so, you are on IPStream. If not, you can't migrate and need to do a cease & reprovide and pay the ADSL activation fee again.
N/A

Yes they have given it, Ive put it in here etc etc.

Just looking at domains and things, I have a domain with 123-reg can i use it here for my email without paying the £1 a month?

I want to keep the domain with 123 but use it here for email.

Im looking at the 'Transfer domain inwards' form now but im unsure what it does!

Thanks
Community Veteran

Depending on the package you are migrating into you can host between 1 and 5 domains for free (linky) on your plusnet account. Look for the section on moving your hosting to plusnet.

The £1/month domain option is if you registered a domain with PlusNet or transfered in the billing of an existing domain. In your case it's just hosting that is moving (the billing stays with (and should stay with 1and1 as they are much cheaper)) so it is free. See Domain transfer howto for more details, in particular the section about hosting only.

However, you don't actually get separate email accounts for your domain. All email addresses associated with the domain are put into correspondingly named mailboxes on your plusnet account. e.g. fred@domain.com going into fred@username.plus.com. So if you actually had 2 domains, fred@domain1.com and fred@domain2.com will both go into fred@username.plus.com.
N/A

Your last paragraph has confused me, Can i have two separate accounts..

mail@williamsfam.co.uk
max@williamsfam.co.uk

Working totally separatley? Cry
Community Veteran

yes, but they go into your plusnet mailboxes of the same name or your plusnet default mailbox if you have not created separate mailboxed for them.

What you need to do is create 2 mailboxes under your PN name called max and mail. Then any mail received for mail@williamsfam.co.uk goes into mail@williamsfam.plus.com and max@williamsfam.co.uk goes into max@williamsfam.plus.com

You ten pickup your main for mailbox mail using username+mail and the password you assighed to it, and mailbox max using username+max and the password you assigned to it.
N/A

Right. I can see myself needing help with this!

What about sending? When i send an email to someone will it look like it came from williamsfam.co.uk or plus.net?

Thanks for the help!
Community Veteran

That depends on what email client you use to send your email as it is within the client that the from email address is set, it has nothing to do with PlusNet or your domain.

If you use outlook express, you can setup several accounts to match your mailbox esand define the from address for each. If you use outlook you may (depending on the version) be able to set the from address when sending email.

I suggest you read the help pages related to mail and separate mailboxes via the help link at the top of the page. They also explain how to setup various email clients.