Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from AOL

trebor4460
Dabbler

Migrating from AOL

Hi all.
i just set the wheels in motion to migrate my broadband connection from Aol to Plusnet.
The activation of my Plusnet account will take a few days so i have a few questions i would like to ask
With aol you have too use their browser software, when i change over i will have to use Internet explorer my first question is will i have to configure it to get online with plusnet?
And secondly i will hopefuly be using the Bt Voyger 50 usb adsl modem i had with my Aol package, will i need to configure any settings in the software?
If anybody else has migrated from Aol using the exsisting Aol hard and software any tips you can give me would be most apreciated.
Thanks in advance, Rob.
7 REPLIES
N/A

I dont fancy your job!!!!

I dont fancy trying to get rid of the bloatware that is AOL!!!!!!

The best option in my opinion is to backup any data you may have, flatten the machine and install an OS from scratch! (preferably Linux if you have the know-how although Mandrake a.k.a Mandriva is quite simple to use now).

AOL software is notorious for hanging around like a bad smell!

In response to your question about browsers, I would recommend Firefox (nice and free and a lot more secure than Exploiter!).

Also, if you can, invest in a decent router if possible. There are plenty of decent DLink and Netgear units around for a small sum and these will be infinitely more reliable than USB networking.

In summary, Flatten, Firefox, F@&^ USB!
N/A

Migrating from AOL

You will need to configure your modem with your Plusnet username@plusdsl.net and your password. If you go into your control panel then network and internet connections then network connections you should see your modem there right click it then click properties and there should be somewhere to put your username and password in. Make a short cut on your desktop for your modem and then you can easily connect from your desktop by double clicking the icon. Once the modem is connected you should then be able to browse the net using internet explorer, Firefox or whatever browser you choose.
trebor4460
Dabbler

Migrating from AOL

Thanks a lot for your help guys Smiley just hope the migration goes smoothly then i can set about rooting Aol out of comp.
N/A

Migrating from AOL

If you go with Firefox (recommended) you may also like to consider Thunderbird for e-mail. You can of course use either at any time. Firefox and Thunderbird easily import all settings from IE and Outlook Express. Plus you can add hundreds of extensions to firefox and Th-bird too.

Good luck.

Andy
crimsone
Grafter

Migrating from AOL

I left AOL.

It took me 2 hours to hund down and destroy everything related to the aol client software, including in the registry. Even after that, things still kept popping up like proverbial ghosts from the past on rare occasions.

I'd go with the above advice Smiley
trebor4460
Dabbler

Migrating from AOL

Just instaled Firefox and Thunderbird and both are working great Cheesy i do like the tabbed feature in firefox.
N/A

Migrating from AOL

I have to admit Firefox is quite cool.

Word on the block is that Big Bad Billy Gates and his Blunder Buddies are looking at implementing tabbed browsing into the latest version of Internot Exploiter.

Oh I cant wait till I get my September MSDN/Tech Net Subscription through the mail so I can finally install Windows Vista and rip apart all the bugs and blatant security holes!!!

Much Joy will be had by all!!!!

A quick word to the wise......get your hands on a Tech Net Plus subscription.....a bargain at only £441 a year and you get all of the latest versions of M$ software free to trial with NO TIME LIMITS!!!!

Most posters will probably already know this, but its worth pointing out for those who arent aware.....

Just have a look at the following link....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abouttn/subscriptions/default.mspx

Thankfully my employer pays for it for me and my colleagues to use!!!!! Cheesy