cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Outlook

N/A

Microsoft Outlook

I'm having difficulty connecting my outlook 2000 to my exchange 2000 server at work over my adsl link. I had no difficulty for about 12 months until I recently came back off holiday (end of Aug) and It didn't work. This did seem to coincide with the e-mails from plusnet's tech team about the changes that bt had made. I'm connecting using a router (an unbranded bundled one from plus net - If anyone knows what make it is and a web site for firmware upgrades that would be great too!) and win xp. Also plugging my xp laptop in gets the same result, but this laptop works fine over a very similar lan setup using a different provider in several locations.

Any help would be great and would save a few more grey hairs !!!

Many thanks
Chris
5 REPLIES
N/A

Microsoft Outlook

Chris,

I believe the router you have is an AR11. See http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=dslrouter&Number=758825 for details of firmware updates for it.

Tim
N/A

Microsoft Outlook

two things you can use the webpage on the exchange server to get your mail which gives you the outlook web interface.

Secondly I suspect your problem may be dns. If your server at work hasnt got a dns entery it will be impossale to find, it will be ok at work as it will pick it up as a local server. If your exchange server isnt live on the net it may need a diferent ip to get to it as it may have port forwarding on.

To test the problem from home try pinging the exchange server by name if that doesnt work then try by ip. if the ip works then put the ip into outlook instaed of the name. Is there a firewall at work which may need to be altered?
N/A

Thanks for the replies

Following e-mail conversations with plus-net's support, it appears that plusnet are blocking ports 135 and 389 on their boarder routers. These are a couple of the ports that outlook uses - it was never going to work !!

Thanks for your replies (and the AR11 link !!)

Chris
N/A

Microsoft Outlook

You should still be able to use the outlook web mail which is just as good or you can logon via terminal server and do it that way. The third way is to use the active x from MS and use a terminal server from a web page.

+net should make known any ports they are blocking it would save hours of work for everyone trying to fix problems. Are they blocking any other ports?
painswck
Grafter

Microsoft Outlook

I seem to remember that Plus Net did make it known that they were going to block these ports (as did many other ISPs) to reduce the problems caused recently by the infamous attacks of windows software.

Cheers