cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microfilters

N/A

Microfilters

I am on PN's Premier up to 2mb service, but, due to being a fair distance from my exchange am only getting 1mb.

My line stats are as follows-:

Connection Speed 1152 kbps / 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db / 15.5 db
Noise Margin 13 db / 26 db

On those figures the capability calculator here http://212.23.23.177/calc.asp suggests I will still be getting less than 2mb when maxdsl gets implemented at my exchange.

Saw these microflters http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=1652 mentioned elsewhere on the forums but the reviews seem too good to be true. Can filters make much difference to your line stats? I would have thought that the figures at BT's end would be the same no matter what you do at your end, and your max line speed is therefore going to be dictated accordingly. Don't want to shell out for three of these for no reason!
6 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Microfilters

I've got those microfilters.
They didn't make any difference to the attenuation or SNR compared with the old PN supplied ones, but they did clear up some problems I was having with the phones.

It is generally preferable to have decent filters , then you can definitely say that any problems you have are not due to poor filters, but I wouldn't expect significant improvements in your figures with them.

But since they are hardly expensive, if you've got the cheap one-part ones, I'd get some new ones anyway.
Community Veteran

Microfilters

It is worth paying a little more for decent microfilters like those.

As a general rule the ones that plug in via a short length of cable are better than the ones that look like over size two way phone adaptors.

Chilly
avalon
Grafter

Microfilters

I'd agree, I had a cheap supermarket bought filter of the solid lump variety. When I replaced it with a decent one with a short cable that came with my router my line stats improved by around 12dB.

It may have been just one rogue filter, but that isn't important to me what mattered was the difference to my stats it meant I could get 2 meg instead of only 1.

If you are reasonably ok with learning/doing technical stuff try reading these.

Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4

But if you try any of the advanced stuff like disconnecting the ringer wire, you do so at your risk. Don't blame me if you get it wrong. Wink
N/A

Microfilters

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. Cheesy
chymorva
Grafter

Microfilters

A good way to check if your filter is OK is to temporarily connect up without the filter (leaving your phones disconnected - only connect the router/modem). Check your line stats - if they are much the same then your filter is OK, if the stats are much better then get another filter.
N/A

Microfilters

Phil,
Thanks for that.... I'll give it a go. Cheesy