cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microfilters busted?

auslan
Dabbler

Microfilters busted?

At my previous residence, I had ADSL access via Plus.net. No problem using either of the two microfilters I had purchased. For the phone/fax side whilst accessing the Internet via ADSL connection.
Now I've moved to another residence and got ADSL access set up here. Yet both filters fail to work, in that the phone doesn't get a decent dial-tone or is ringable. Sad Incoming faxes don't arrive at our fax on the filtered line. Ended up buying a new microfilter and that seems to do the job => can now get faxes out & in. Have yet to get the phones tested.
--- Query: Am I correct in assuming that the first two microfilters just don't work at this residence (and would work fine elsewhere, e.g. at my previous residence), or have they been 'busted'? If the latter, I'm a bit surprised as I thought that BT phone lines don't damage microfilters or the connected telephony equipment, unless there was any unexpected power surge (e.g. lightning)?? :?:
--- I'm wondering if I ought to get an ADSL filtered wall-socket for the BT master socket (or the extension box upstairs), rather than one of those pig-wiretailed ADSL filters.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Microfilters busted?

Filters can and do degrade over time. Many say they don't, because they shouldn't, but they do.

It may be that having moved them, they have become damaged. Allthough the best of care may have been given to them in the move, it may that disconnecting them from the line was the final push for them.

Where did you get the old filters from? Are the new filters the same?

As for a wired faceplate, you can obtain these from Clarity.it

The only thing you need to note about them, is they are designed to be mounted on a BT master plate. This would mean it can only be used on the primary socket of the house.

Clarity do two types of the faceplate.

1: Original style filtered faceplate with filtered extentions IDC

2: As #1, with modified IDC to screw terminal. Includes both filtered and non-filter extention connectors.

Number 1 would require that your PC be near the master socket, or that you run a extention cable to this socket and into the ADSL port ont he front.

Number 2 allows you to hide the extention cable by hardwireing it into the back.

You coudn't use one of these faceplates on a secondry socket, unless you obtained a wallmount, designed to hold this faceplate. I know of no providers selling these without the ringer circuit, which a secondry socket can't have.
auslan
Dabbler

Microfilters busted?

Thanks for your response. The old filters? One was from PC World, an Excelsus Z-Blocker (Z-420UK-A) under the Belkin brand. The other came from DSL-Warehouse, a basic microfilter FT101.

I'm trialling a Telcom ADSL Broadband filter from Dixons (£12.99) but it doesn't handle the phone side too well. Won't cause our rented flat's phone <Telcom 360> to ring. Tried a new corded phone: BT Decor 210 - and that works fine. Fax works fine with it. Am considering a better one from Clarity.it or get a Fujitsu FDX100UK as a better solution. Not too sure about the £1.98 Solwise spiltter.

As for BT master boxes, they're the old style (non NTE5). We rent, not own, the residence so we are not that keen to fork out ££ to fit a NTE5 box with an ADSL/phone spiltter faceplate. Both boxes are located in the lounge room, side by side.

Computer upstairs. Considering a new "portable, strung along the wall" CAT5 cable to bypass the landlord's floor-affixed extension cord (standard cable, not CAT5). If so, I would want a filter upstairs. Probably go for an ADSL faceplate socket box not screwed permenantly to the wall, instead of a wire-dangled filter that I've used. I suppose that if I take this option, the fax & phone can be rung upstairs as it'll feed directly off the master linebox downstairs.

No point asking me about the noise quality or dial-tone on the phone line because I'm deaf. Hence its a case of trying out filters until I find something that can handle the lot <ADSL unfiltered; filtered dial-up modem / textphone / fax / phone>.
N/A

Microfilters busted?

Those faceplates from clarity will only fit a NTe5.

The bad news is the ringer curcuit of a NTe5 is behind the inner face.

I am stringling to find a inner face without this ringer cirtuit to act as a secondry faceplate. So at this time, I don't see a way to do this.

As for the phone not ringing, that may possibly be the phone itself. What REN value is it?
holdtight
Grafter

Microfilters busted?

There is an issue between Adsl and a lot of cordless phones especially if the phone is located fairly close to your modem/router, it sounds like the same problem ive seen a few times even when tried with high quality microfilters, a lot of squeaks and squawks on the line to the point of not being able to hear whats being said, when tried with a corded phone no problem, the only way i could still use a cordless was to have the base unit as far away from the system as i could, its got rid of most of the noise but not all (its bearable) it may be worth trying before spending extra ££££.
N/A

Microfilters busted?

Any filter will attenuate the signal available. the better the filter, the lower the signal loss.
The filter is a high pass / low pass filter which allows the low frequency phone through on one channel and the high frequency DSL through on another.
The filter will also attenuate the AC voltage on the "ring" line, which may mean that even though you have a total number of devices less than a REN of 3, there is insufficient voltage for some devices, mainly those with a diode switched sound device, to operate.
fistsbs
Grafter

Microfilters busted?

I have just ordered a Fujitsu FDX100-UK Microfilter which is high-quality ADSL microfilter.
N/A

Microfilters busted?

Might not be the filters (ADSL filters that is).

I had a really (really) poor SNR margin and loop attenuation - so bad that i couldn't get synch.

Problem turned out to be a little box in the airing cupboard which contained an RF filter which had gone duff with age.

The BT engineer ripped it out and all is well again (ie SNR margin increased by a factor of ten and loop attenuation halved - thats how bad it had got).

Follow the cable from the BT socket back to the 'outside world'.

BT didn;t charge for the repair.

Stands to reason that if your equipment was ok at the old address than its a line issue.
auslan
Dabbler

Microfilters busted?

Update: Problem is now solved. This is really weird to me :? , however it now works - I'm satisfied Cheesy .

What I used earlier was to detach the short phone cable from the rear of the ADSL filter and insert a long extension cable in order to have this filter/spliter upstairs. That didn't work. After much experimentation, I discovered that if I utilise this short cable in the connection between the spliter and BT socket box - it works. Now I have two cables (short & extension) from the socket box to the ADSL filter, joined by a RJ11-RJ11 coupler.

I then discovered that the Excelsus Z-Blocker (Z-420UK-A) works in this picture. Hence I don't need the new (Telcom) filter I bought last week so will return it to the shop. Brilliant, the fax can receive incoming faxes upstairs, next to the computer.

Acarr (Philip), you asked a question earlier. Both the old and new phones are at REN value 1.0. The old phone is now ringable upstairs when tested there.
N/A

Microfilters busted?

Does anyone know the correct wiring configuration inside a splitter? I bought a cheap and cheerful one from DABS and when I plug it in to my second phone point DSL switches itself off, I can also hear hissing if I plug the phone into that splitter.