cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microfilter on unused phones?

N/A

Do I need a microfilter on every phone, or just a phone that I will use when using the broadband? Sounds a silly question, but we have two digital cordless phones using one base station which we use all the time and two other wired handsets which we very rarely use (only when both cordless phones need a charge). My broadband is not yet active, but I was going to put the microfilter on one point for the cordless phone base station and ADSL modem, and leave the other phones in other extensions without microfilter. Would this operate OK until the phone rings perhaps? And if so, what is the worst that could happen - a dropped connection? Not a great problem as we're moving from dialup and so don't expect to use the phone when online. I'm assuming I get one microfilter with the PlusNet basic modem...
7 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Unfortunately, every phone that is plugged in needs to be filtered - not just when in use. Phones can cause interference to the broadband signal even when just plugged in - as they pull an electrical current from the line.

Not having all your phones filtered can cause unstable / slow connections.

One option would be to plug a splitter into the phone side of the filter and extention to both the phones you need. But then you need to be careful that you're not filtering the broadband signal out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Strictly speaking you shouldnt need a microfilter in unused phone sockets but you would need one when you use the phone. There is a theory, however, that fitting one terminates the extension wiring and may reduce any possibility of noise pickup from the extension wiring.
If your cordless base station and ADSL modem are in the master socket then you could consider a filtered faceplate
( e.g http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=90 ) which would automatically filter any extensions, unused or not.
Liam
Grafter

Nope, you don't need a microfilter if a phone isn't plugged into the socket. But I think the OP's point was that he will have phones plugged in, albeit they won't be used at the same time as the broadband.

They will need filtering, but a socket with nothing plugged into it will not need a microfilter.

The idea about the ADSL faceplate at the master socket is sound though.
Community Veteran

Sorry, I misunderstood what was being asked, Liam is absolutely correct.
N/A

Thanks to you both for advice. I'll just have to filter all the phones - the faceplate option looks good but I have everything hardwired into the back of the BT socket so I don't think that would work.

Assuming I get one filter with the cheapest modem option (is this correct?) then I'll buy one more (PCWorld round the corner from work) and ditch the second corded handset.
Community Veteran

Your extensions should be wired to the back of the removable front part of the master socket. The filtered faceplate replaces this removable part and you just reconnect your extensions to the back of the new filtered faceplate.
Liam
Grafter

Assuming I get one filter with the cheapest modem option (is this correct?) then I'll buy one more (PCWorld round the corner from work) and ditch the second corded handset.

Nope - you should receive two microfilters with the modem. So you're in luck!