cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-Filters - Phone don't ring!

N/A

When I use my ADSL Micro filters on the 2 phones I have in the house, my phones don't ring. I can call out though!

They are the only phone equiptment on the line (ie no faxes or other modems).

Makes no odds whether my ADSL is connected or not. As Soon as I remove a filter (obviously whilst the ADSL is off) the phone rings.

Any ideas?

Chris
9 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

hmm.... dodgy filters? have you tried with other microfilters?
N/A

Hi Martin,

No haven't tried other filters, but surely it is unlikely that both filters would be broken?

They were both supplied yesterday by PlusNet.

Chris
LiamM
Grafter

if they are both of the same brand and stuff then possibly a bad batch? it might be worth trying.... I'm just trying to suggest stuff so can rule them out... the phones are off different manufacturers / models yeah?

Perhaps could be a line fault.... but I would imagine so...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Have a look at the following tutorial to make sure you've got everything set up correctly.

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

It's possible that both filters are faulty, try each filter on its own with just one phone and nothing else.
N/A

Hi Liam,

Apologies that I referred to you as Martin last time, I miss read the end of your posting.

Both phones are BT but different models.

I'll see if I could borrow some different splitters from a friend at work. He has some spare BT ones.

I appreciate your help.

Won't be online for a couple of days now, but will report on progress when I am.

Many thanks

Chris
N/A

Hi Dave

I'll try the one socket at a time thing and report back.

I have checked the USERTOOLS page.

The only additinonal thing I can possibly think of is that I have found a 3rd socket in the house which has no phone or equipment attached to it, just a small extension lead. I assume that it use to be used for a phone in one of the bedrooms. But that shouldn't affect it should it?

Chris
LiamM
Grafter

No. If it's not being used by a phone, then you don't need to plug a microfilter into it...

Perhaps try with another model of phone as well?

Cheers
N/A

Dave

I tried both phones in all sockets using both filters (but only 1 item at a time) as suggested. Still no joy.

So I assume that it is either 2 faulty micro-filters, a problem with the line or incompatibility with the phones.

For info the phones are -

1) BT Response 160 (which has ansaphone capability but we don't use that)
2) BT Duet 450

Chris
N/A

Hi Liam

Cheers for the info.

Yes, I will get hold of another phone too and do the same test.

As you can see from the update I just sent back to Dave, I have now tried with both phones (BT Response 160 and Duet 450) and both micro filters in all sockets just one item at a time without joy.

Many thanks
Chris