cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metered ADSL

N/A

Metered ADSL

Some providers are moving toward a metered ADSL service to share the bandwidth between the 50 people within the contention ratio. I would like people's opinion on this issue and assurance from those at PlusNet that this is NOT the way they intend to go!
4 REPLIES
N/A

Metered ADSL

There's an earlier thread on this subject, which you might like to see: Pay as You Go Broadband?.

If you want peoples' opinions, why don't you start a poll? I'm sure PlusNet would be interested to see it as well!

I think price would be the important factor, though -- in fact, such a service would differentiate itself primarily on the basis of its pricing model. Unless people could see a definite saving, I'm not sure they'd bother. So they'd need to have an idea of their own data usage in order to make a rational decision.

Personally, I think I'd take the view that the differences in price aren't great -- not enough to break the bank! -- I'm content where I am, so why bother?

If the entire industry moves in this direction, though, we may not have a choice. After all, it is the way we pay for gas, electricity and petrol, and water seems to be going the same way. Interesting, though, that telephone calls have moved in the opposite direction, with certain packages allowing unlimited use for particular types of call.
N/A

Metered ADSL

Can I ask where you obtained this information from?

Metered DSL and this 50 user share system sounds like two seperate things.

First off the, 50 users sharing bandiwdth is not strictly possible. Contention is performed at the DSLAM at the exchange. As such, these 50 users may not be on the same ISP.

Metered DSL usualy bills you based on how much traffic is generated by your assigned IP address.
N/A

Metered ADSL

Have a look at the following URL, acarr. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3109146.stm
N/A

Metered ADSL

I see, this has allready been talked of in antoher thread, however, I never read the news article in question.

This being said, I will now comment in full on what they have said, why it is a load of NEWSTRASH and why the humble joe low user will be worse out of pocket.

Contention currently works by sharing access of the DSLAM between 50 or 20 users, depending on the ratio of your account. That means one users actions effects another users (a little more on contention can be seen over at ADSLguide)

To facilitate what they describe as, on demand bandwidth without interuption, where it doesn't effect others users, and where lower users are not effected either, would require a whole new system of contention.

BT would need to introduce a dynamic contention system, where people can be switched between contention levels on demand by the ISP (and a user to, though this would be done throught he ISP).

For un-interupted high capacity, there would have to be 1:1 contention, which does not come chwap at all.

All in all, this is going to be very very expensive.

1: There would not be enough high capacity users to pay for the research, development and implimentation. Thus the fees to use the high end service will be insane.

2: There is no way in hell that only the high end users could pay for this new platform, and it would need subsidising via the lower use users.

All in all, you would end up with a system, where the lower end users minimal fee is no cheaper than the current standard ISPs.

Too give you a qucik idea of the prices that are involved here.

From another ISP that offers lower contention levels, you pay the following monthly fees

5:1 512KB/s ADSL - £99 pcm (£116.33)
1:1 512KB/s ADSL - £215 pcm (£252.63)
1:1 2048KB/s ADSL - £355 pcm (£417.13)
Prices inside the brackets include VAT

I have to say, that these may be a little higher than what they could be, however, they are not far off what is needed.

Even on a pay-as-you go basis, it is not going to be cheap durign the periods where you do use it.

The above is based on what the BBC wrote. However, there is a whole other side to the PAYG BB market, that is allready available by the ISP metronet.

They will charge you a monthly fee based on what you use each month.

This is still based on the existing technology, where even if you are a high-use user, you are still sharing contention with people that are likely paying cheaper rates on another ISP.