cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxing out Max - new router?

Chris3005
Grafter

I moved over to Max 8 days ago. My connection has been syncing at over 5500 download, 448 upload, very consistently. My upload speed is steady at 375, which is what I'd hope in comparison to the sync, but my download speed remains between 950 and 1048. I've tried lots of tweaks and am beginning to think I have a problem with my router (D-link 504, wired).

Typical BT test:

BT test 20:46 Sunday 20 May
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6336 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 982 kbps

Typical router stats:

Sync 6144 448 kbps
SNR 3.0 dB 0.0 dB
ATEN 39 dB 20 dB
FEC 34033 0
CRC 28435 1
HEC 7993 1
Frames 447549 477359
Loop length 8k feet

From what I've understood, the SNR looks poor, the attenuation looks OK, there are a lot of errors, but the sync is what I'd expect for the line length, and BT seem happy enough with the profile at 5500 so maybe the SNR and errors aren't a problem.

When I was on a 1Mb connection I was getting the same attenuation, SNR of 15.5, no FEC errors, and maybe 100 a day of CRC and HEC.

BUT, I can't get more than 1Mb download. I've disconnected the ring wires in my line, I've replaced all my filters, I've tweaked MTU and RWIN, all with no effect. I'm on Windows XP, SP2. Any other ideas?

I can only think of the router; I've read up on firmware upgrades, but it sounds a bit risky, and I don't want to wreck my only router; we use the connection for business. Any comments on the D-link 504 with R2.21.002.06.b2t10uk firmware?

So I may need a new router, either as a replacement or as a standby while I upgrade the firmware. Can anyone give me recommendations on a good router?

One other thing; the master socket is upstairs and I have 3m of extension to a faceplate, then filter, 2m to the router, then Cat 5 in each of 4 ports. Cable routes to upstairs are limited, and I can't move the router up to the master and have 4 Cat 5 cables. I want to stay wired, not go to wireless. Is it worth having a 1 port adsl router upstairs, and Cat 5 to a 4 port hub downstairs?

Thanks for any advice

Chris
3 REPLIES
N/A

If you are on day 8 you wont be fully maxed yet so I would wait until day 12 before I did anything. Download test never work out very well you are better downloading a file from MS site or other good site and see what speed that comes down at.

If you have a extension is this hard wired or just a plugin?

If its wired have you removed the ring wire at both ends of the extension ? If its plug in then you have the rig wire in use on that cable.

You would be better hard wiring an extension without the ring wire direct to the router. The extension may well be picking up interferences from the house wiring. Plug the router directly into the bt master socket by removing the face plate and see what the syc rate etc is there if its not much different then your or but if the signal goes up a lot the extension cable is the problem
Chris3005
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. My assumption is that since BT have put my profile up to 5500, it's about as maxed as it will go for the line length; if it was down around 2000 I'd be waiting, but surely I should be getting more than 1000 download if the profile is happy at 5500?

The extension is hard wired and the ring wires are disconnected at both ends. I don't see how I can hard wire into the router as I need to go through a filter, and without breaking into the router I only have a socket to connect to?

Moving the router to the master socket would be a major task (there's wiring built in behind cupboards) and would mean being offline with my mailserver for a while. I can do it if it's really going to be beneficial, but 39dB aten. and 5500 profile looks quite fair for my line length so I wasn't expecting much could be wrong there. Have I misunderstood?

Chris
Chris3005
Grafter

Well, mwright, my apologies - perhaps I didn't wait long enough. Or, if I subscribe to the conspiracy theories around here, perhaps somebody at PN has tweaked something in response to my post. Anyway, speeds have risen steadily since I posted and I downloaded at 3.5Mb last night and 4.6Mb this morning. So if that stays, I don't need to change anything. Cheesy