cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL upgrades too slow - other ISPs processing within days

daviez
Grafter

I have friends with other ISPs (most notably freedom2surf) who put in for upgrades to MaxDSL last week and have now been upgraded and are getting 800k/sec download speeds.

The Plusnet upgrade programme seems pretty poor in comparison, as there is virtually no information about when I can expect to be upgraded from my current 2Mb connection.

Fair enough Plusnet are upgrading all customers at the same time, but that doesn't help me personally...!
12 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Did your friends get priority, or is everybody being upgraded at the same time?
daviez
Grafter

They just put in an upgrade request and it got processed. I don't think F2S are upgrading everyone automatically.

It's good that Plusnet are automatically upgrading everyone, but I still want to know when I will be on an 8Mb connection. I haven't seen a clear explanation of the whole "next billing date" thing.
Community Veteran

And how many actual customers are they upgrading?

Also the clue is 'They put in an upgrade request'? Did they pay for this upgrade or was it free?. This means F2S put in a specific order for that line to be upgraded which is different to how PN are doing their mass MaxDSL upgrade programme.

PlusNet are upgrading ALL their connections (where possible) and prioritising those orders to those who are already on the higher priced products. PN also have 200,000 lines to upgrade at approx 700 / day (a limit imposed by BT).

There are many ISPs (including PlusNet) that have had successful MaxDSL upgrades last week, it's just PN have a lot more than many of the smaller ISP like F2S to do so it will take a lot longer that those who have specifically put in an order.
N/A

The next billing date has no impact on the maxdsl upgradeds. The next billing date is only relevant for upgrading the product type.

F2S may have a larger market share than PN in which case they can place more regrade orders per day than PN/
daviez
Grafter

That is exactly my point re the next billing date. Great, my next billing date will put me on a Plusnet product which will allow me > 2Mb speeds, but I still have no idea when BT will do whatever they need to my line to increase the speed.
N/A

My friend on AOL phoned up to enquire about 8mb on the 3rd April, he is now enjoying 8mb speeds 7 days later. To my knowledge he didnt pay a fee for this to happen.
Highlighted
N/A

But as stated. With those other ISPs you have to ask. (And with some pay more) Could you imagine if we'd all asked? Then all asked at once? Then all complained because there was a waiting list?

It's good plusnet are doing it automatically and for free. Just be patient.
duane_dibley
Dabbler

>PN also have 200,000 lines to upgrade at approx 700 / day (a limit imposed by BT).

Hmm. Assuming BT work a 5 day week, that means it will be a little over 57 weeks (>1 year) before everyone is upgraded!
N/A

dont worry - there are plenty of us leaving so hopefully it won't be too long before you get upgraded :lol:
N/A

lol
N/A

LOL!

If they don't do something to compete with Carphonewarehouse.... :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
N/A

I don't think they'll have to compete directly with carphone warehouse. Obviously one is going to need to sign up to their landline service, which quite frankly i personally don't want or need. If I want internet I'll pay for internet, If i want a landline I'll pay for that.