cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL speeds and stats comparison, anyone?

N/A

To compare, I'd be interested in anyone else who is a similar distance from their exchange and what stats and gear they are using..

Distance as the crow flies:- 1.7 km
Sync rate was 3424 off-peak, 3148 peak,
now 3232 off-peak, 3124 peak.
SNR was 5.8 off-peak, now 6.8. Was 4.8 off-peak, now 6.5.
Attenuation 60 to 63 dB (that hasn't changed).

I have a BT-installed master socket, installed specifically for ADSL (changed from ISDN), high-grade microfilters and the Binatone ADSL 500 USB modem provided when I joined +.
I can't disconnect my etension line for the phone because BT hard-wired it when they installed the ADSL master socket. I did try removing what kit I could, but that made no difference, and I don't want to pay out on a router that could give me worse stats and d/l speed than now. I do have a Netgear FS108 switch, but that's for an ethernet network, not ADSL. I'd need to buy an ADSL modem-router to plug into it if I did away with the USB.

I want to get some idea on if it is worth buying new kit. What I really need is to get the line attenuation down and don't see how I can do that without BT reoplacing the main copper wire, or t least the wire to my house from the main cable.
But, I got ISDN because my line was of such poor quality that ADSL was impossible and dial-up rarely went above 33kbs. I got new phone numbers, different part of the exchange, and suddenly modem speeds moved up and ADSL was possible. My line attenuation had dropped by at least 20 then.

There's a switchbox about 300 metres away max. But no way will BT do an expensive upgrade when I'm above 2mb/s anyway.

When I was firt maxed I was set on a stable rate of 2000, as CS has pointed out to me. I don't know how that got that figure because even the electricity to my house was switchd off, and my modem unplugged. I was on holiday!
As soon as I came back I was able to get my stable rate up to 2500.
But it seems that other people a similar distance away from their exchange get better speeds.

That's why I'd bve interested to know what gear and stats they have.
9 REPLIES
N/A

You seem to be doing better than me . Here are my stats.

Distance as the crow flies:- 1.8 km
Sync rate between 1940 and 2700, now 2048
Noise margin between 6 and 10db, attenuation between 55 and 58.

Line stats now:
noise margin downstream: 9 db
output power upstream: 11 db
attenuation downstream: 58 db

noise margin upstream: 14 db
output power downstream: 16 db
attenuation upstream: 31 db

stable rate stuck at 1000 for over a week now

Router: ZyXEL Prestige 660HW-61
N/A

I've noticed that my stats are better than many others who have high attenuation. I don't know why, it may be that my computer is less than a metre from my main socket, may be because the main socket was installed by a BT engineer .I had such slow dial-up speeds and my line was so bad that I was told I could never get ADSL, my attenuation was over 80, so I moved to ISDN. I got a new phone number and a switch in a different part of the exchange for that, and it made broadband possible as well as giving me normal dial-up speeds when I had it removed. But ISDN is an expensive way of improving line stats because you are locked into a minimum contracy payong rental on two lines as well as conversion charges.

Maybe your router isn't as good as some. Albert and Arnold say they provide Xytel routers because they have good performance on Max.. only most of the reports I've read say the opposite.

I'm considering buying a router from Argos. The choice of vendoe, if I can get what I want, is that Argos will take anything back within 16 days, I've beed told.

Your stats look better than mine, so there must be something causing the difference in speed.
Have you checked what the BT line checker says you should get on Max for your phone number? For me it says at least 3 mb/s.

My line4 stats now,

Down SNR 5.9 dB
Down Attenuation 61.6 dB
Sync speed down 3232

Up SNR 19dB
Up attenuation 31.5
Sync speed Up 448

Latency FAST

Stable rate has stayed on 2500 since it had time to update whenI first turned my modem on after upgrade. Initially I was on 2000, but I don't know how BT got that because I was away when upgraded and for some days afterwards, haven't any idea when I was maxed and +net aren't saying (don't know?). I suppose that if there are no line stats to set a stable rate, BY will make an educated guess based on attenuation and distance from the excheange, plus ordinary ADSL speeds.

I don't have output power stats with a USB modem, so can't compare there.

Anyone else?
N/A

The BT web site says I should get at least 3Mb.

Do you have some links to the reports on the ZyXEL routers that you were reading? I'm not sure if the router is causing the problem or not. Argos sells the NetGear DG834 which seems popular but I used to have a NetGear DG814 prior to MaxDSL and it wasn't that good at keeping the connection going, so I switched to a ZyXEL.

Stable rate been stuck on 1000 for a couple of weeks now.

Sync rate at the moment 2144
noise margin 9db
attenuation 60db

My router has been syncing at or above 2000 for days now, although it does seem to re-sync quite a lot judging by the router log file. Well, at least that's what I assume all the log file entries mean.

2 06/09/2006 07:10:28 ppp:IPCP Opening
3 06/09/2006 07:10:28 ppp:IPCP Starting
4 06/09/2006 07:10:28 ppp:CHAP Opening
5 06/09/2006 07:10:28 ppp:LCP Opening
6 06/09/2006 07:10:28 ppp:LCP Starting
7 06/09/2006 07:10:28 ppp:LCP Closing
8 06/09/2006 07:10:28 ppp:LCP Opening
9 06/09/2006 07:10:25 ppp:LCP Starting
10 06/09/2006 07:10:25 board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 337, C02 OutCall Connected 512000 CALL DETAIL RECORD
11 06/09/2006 07:10:25 board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 337, C01 Outgoing Call dev=5 ch=0 CALL DETAIL RECORD
12 06/09/2006 07:10:24 board 0 line 0 channel 0, call 336, C02 Call Terminated CALL DETAIL RECORD
13 06/09/2006 07:10:21 ppp:LCP Closing
14 06/09/2006 07:10:21 ppp:LCP Opening
15 06/09/2006 07:10:21 ppp:LCP Starting
N/A

Distance to Exchange as crow flies...around 295m
Speeds I actually get, in the mornigns, around 900k download.

In the afternoon/evening around 650k download

Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 448
Ds Rate (Kbps) 8128
US Margin 27
DS Margin 18
Trained Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 10
US Line Attenuation 5
Peak Cell Rate 1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 1
CRC Rx Interleaved 0
CRC Tx Interleaved 0
Path Mode Fast Path
N/A

@robynfali
Those are very good stats, to get them you would have to live almost in sight of the exchange I guess. Smiley

For deantaplin.
You should have at least the same rate as me, judging from your stats, although the 9dB SNR is higher than my SNR.

I used to get evening disconnects and resyncs to lower speeds, but now my SNR is about 1 dB higher, causing a slowdown but keeping the 2500 stable rate and almost completely stopping the resyncs.when the SNR goes too low to keep the connection.

This is a link to the ADSLGuide hardware forum, threads on the ZyXel. I did find other info by doing a google search, but can't remember the urls. As with all routers, this one has those who either love it or hate it. Some people change to this modem to improve speed or stability, others away from it.

ADSL Guide link

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Long url shortened as it was stretching the page]
N/A

Well if I threw it hard enough, I guess I could hit it with a stone, not even sure the 295 metres is accurate to be honest, my garden is 140ft long, church behind me, thats another maybe 100ft, then a road, then the exchange...so maybe less than 295m
vic_newey
Grafter

I am 2.4 k from exchange & on 1.5 meg , formerly 1 meg
syncd at 2.3 during initial training

Sync speed for weeks has been 1880 snr 9 & now its dropped to 1600 or lower with snr up higher at 12 for some reason, interleaving turned off, very few crc errors & no line drops , using USB modem as router was poor by comparison.

speed around 1480 sometimes 1500,

attenuation is 49
Am I to presume that if I sync at below 1500 I will get MSR dropped ?
N/A

Distance: 6.2km
sync rate: 2350-2400kbps consistent
SNR: 9dB consistent (manually enforced) Tongue
Attenuation: 59-61dB (depending how the BINS are allocated)
Channel: FAST
BRAS: 2meg

Using NTE5 with modified ADSL faceplate, Cat5e ADSL/Voice extension, Netgear DG834Gv2 firmware 3.01.29

I am 2.4 k from exchange & on 1.5 meg

Sync speed for weeks has been 1880 snr 9 & now its dropped to 1600 or lower with snr up higher at 12 for some reason

Those stats are quite poor considering the distance.
vic_newey
Grafter

D

I am 2.4 k from exchange & on 1.5 meg

Sync speed for weeks has been 1880 snr 9 & now its dropped to 1600 or lower with snr up higher at 12 for some reason

Those stats are quite poor considering the distance.

Had BT round last year & couldn't improve my line , however we had a card thru the door last week saying all our area are having lines replaced along the poles & rewired to each house also so I await & see if I get an improvement Tongue