cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL speed variances

N/A

MaxDSL speed variances

I do not have a grouch against Plus.net, I am totally satisfied with their service and support. I have been Maxed now for just over a month.

I have found in the mornings I am getting just under 6mbs, however, when I connect in the evenings sometimes I get below 1 mb., last night it was around 2 1/2mbs.

I am using a Speedtouch 546 router. Sometimes, I have found it slow in the mornings and I reboot my router, speed usually improves significally.

Is this "normal" behaviour for MaxAdsl. I'm quite suprised by the huge slow down in the evenings, a reboot of the router usually has little effect.
14 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

MaxDSL speed variances

Are you referring to the results of speedtests?
If so, these will vary from minute to minute, and will especially poor in the evening when Plusnet and BT are very congested.

There are many threads on here about the unreliability of speedtests.

The key thing for your speed is your stable rate which is determined by BT and passed to Plusnet for implementation.
N/A

MaxDSL speed variances

O.K. so in general speedtests are not accurate, however, a speedtest variance from below 1 mbs to nearly 6mbs is clearly not only due to inaccuracies. I take the values as an indication not a true measurement. It seems more logical to quote those results than to say the link is " a lot slower " in the evenings. Is this large variance a "feature" of MaxDsl or is it an issue?
Alecto
Grafter

MaxDSL speed variances

I wasn't implying criticism, just trying to establish what you were basing your comments on.

The variance is not a feature of Max, just a reflection of how busy the Plusnet and BT networks are at various times of the day.

I get speedtest results of 4Mb plus before noon, but in the evening often find it below 1Mb. This is just the way it is, I'm afraid.

Even if Plusnet were less congested, I'd expect you to find bottlenecks elsewhere in the telephone network.

I don't expect you to get it better on Plusnet in the foreseeable future, but would expect you to have the same problem with other ISPs. But then again, I may be wrong about that since I haven't tried any other ISP since 8Mb has supposedly been available to all and sundry.

What I do know is that the whole BT network is old, not designed for the traffic it is currently having to bear, and that everybody has been given unrealistic expectations of 8Mb and more, even though most lines just won't support it, and even if they would, the infrastructure wouldn't.
Njal
Grafter

MaxDSL speed variances

I'm using the same router as you (Speedtouch 546), and getting pretty much the same results.

At quiet times I get 5-6 Mbps, at busy times it drops, occasionally to around about 2 Mbps, but more usually somewhere in the 3-5 range.

It's in the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Still, it's quicker than it was.

I wonder when Plusnet are going to upgrade to up to 24 Mbps, probably better not to ask at the moment.......

Regards,

Neil
N/A

MaxDSL speed variances

Thanks Gents for your replies.

I am quite suprised by the variance, and all due to usage.

Prior to MaxDsl, I understood that the link I had was limited to a contention ratio of 20:1, compared to other ISPs who were offering 50:1. Presumably this was contention over the local loop?
Is this contention rule still there?
I remember that to get ADSL we all had to wait for BT to upgrade the local exchange we each connect to, however, Maxdsl seemed to be available everywhere at roughly the same time(if the ISP was willing!). Is the traffic contention now higher up the line than at the local loop?
N/A

MaxDSL speed variances

What surprises me is that my router records a download speed resonably steady around the 5000kbps whereas the PN speed test varies from 450kbps to 3300kbps. Surely there should be some relation between the 2 readings or is this difference due entirely to PN, what are they doing to reduce 5000kbps to 500kbps. Before MaxDSL speeds were reasonaby steady about 1800kbps.
Njal
Grafter

MaxDSL speed variances

Do you mean the difference between what your router is reporting as its sync speed and the speeds you're achieving?

See:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

Particularly "Throughput Speed (Data Rate)".

My router reports a rock solid:

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

but actual speeds are as I gave above.

Regards

Neil
N/A

MaxDSL speed variances

Yes I mean't the difference between Sync Speed and Throughput Speed as measured by PN.
For the first few weeks the throughput was steady around 2800kbps but a couple of days ago it dropped to ca. 500kbps.
I accept the speed will vary but a ratio of 10:1 for the Sync Speed : Throughput seemed high and I find it hard to believe the is caused by usage.
Regards
Fred
N/A

MaxDSL speed variances

Minimum acceptable speeds for broadband service:

100kbps or more – acceptable on 512kbps products

200kbps or more – acceptable on 1Mb products

400kbps or more – acceptable on 2Mb, 4Mb & 8Mb products

there own words !

A disgrace!
Njal
Grafter

MaxDSL speed variances

To be fair these are BT's figures not Plusnets. You'll get the same figures from any ISP.

See:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/acceptablespeeds.htm

Regards,

Neil
N/A

MaxDSL speed variances

Ok so they fooled me into thinking that these rates are fine?
So when u have slow speeds and complete a fault finder ,it quotes these speeds and basicly says dont bother going any further because there fine??
Now that would confuse some granny!
N/A

MaxDSL speed variances

I believe the acceptable speeds quoted by BT are the line speeds. In my case I get reasonably steady sync speed of around 5000kbps. If with this Line Speed, throughput drops to 500kbps, the fault must lie with PN. They state Sync Speed and BRAS are not related which is rubish.
If your Sync speed is 2000kbps, you are never going to get this as a throughput speed so there must be a connection.
The ratio of Throughput Speed to Line Speed is probably a measure of the efficiency of the ISP in providing a broadband connection.
Normally my connection is reasonable but for some reason on the 12th Sept, it dropped to give an Efficiency of 10%.
I did ask PN but either they could not read the question, didn't know or just weren't prepared to answer it.
It is possible to disconnect from PN and independantly check the BT line speed but so far I haven't done this.
timps
Grafter

MaxDSL speed variances

Fred,
on the 12th there was a speed prob ecxperienced by many of us and recognised by PN.
See service status posts for this date

timps
N/A

MaxDSL speed variances

timps
Thanks I hadn't seen that but I assumed they were having some problems. Today is the first time it has got back to the heady height of pre 12/9 and throughput is now ca. 2900kbps.
Fred