cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL faster but less reliable?

N/A

I have had a look at other topics but can't gather whether there is a known and widespread issue with periodic loss of ADSL connectivity. Since the day of my MaxDSL upgrade I've experienced outages after being connected for a while. Since I'm getting great speed (often 6/7 meg) I'm loathe to raise a contact us or get BT involved (after the last time when they took out my broadband for a couple of weeks and both they and refused to speak to me due to their line fault!!!). A reboot of my router/reconnection seems to cure it.

Is there a known issue or not? I've got new filters, tried the master BT socket (after the last BT faff although it was clearly not the problem) and my Netgear DG834GT is brand new and up to date plus most telling of all, I have had no broadband problems with it before nor generally for years with my previous Netgear router (except the BT screw-up mentioned above).

Contact us and the faults wizard (although a valiant effort) only wants to take me down the line of a completely failed connection, mine works most of the time and after my previous experience the last thing I want is anyone at PN/BT changing anything!

TIA.
30 REPLIES
N/A

I wasn't as detailed as I could have been - when I talk about losing connectivity my router does still look connected but browsing/email/GTalk etc don't work nor do IP addresses (I use some for work VPN etc). It seems like my traffic just stops getting routed.

What also may or may not be relevant is sometimes the connection seems to have gone into "limp mode" where I seem to get a few bytes through - I might get the title appearing in the browser titlebar or may even get the whole Google search page. This has been rare though. And before anybody asks, this isn't just a slowness issue - I know how to basically monitor my network traffic and the connection is just dead/not responding.
N/A

MaxDSL tests your line for 10 days for the Max speed of your line. Once the ten days are up stability should return with a faster speed. Althought it can take upto 2 weeks to see a full speed change.

Its a BT thing, so its a waiting game Wink
N/A

Thanks phear. I was aware of the testing, does it definitely involve instability? I've had this problem at every speed - even when I've connected nearer 5 meg.
N/A

Yep it sure does. Just do a search for "MaxDSL" + "Sync" there is atleast 60+ threads I have replied on this week about the same issue hehe Wink
N/A

Thanks phear.

I sure wish PlusNet would just tell us this. I guess they are scared to say "your connection is going to be iffy for a week or two". Personally I'd prefer honesty, I'm happy to have a dodgy connection if I know it will eventually be OK!
N/A

There was I believe an email titled "Important news about your broadband service" that mentioned the 10 day update. Obviously it didnt mention the downtime as I dont think PN knew either, its just another BT slip-up I believe.
Gryzor
Grafter

Sadly this 10 day thing that people are quoting isnt necassarily the whole truth. I am on day 5 and raised a ticket due to the issues you have mentioned.

According to PN my line had finished the required tests on day 3 but I am getting the same drops and problems, the 10 day is more of a guideline.
N/A

Try disconnecting the bell wire (3) in the master socket. It has resolved the disconnects for alot of MaxDSL people.
N/A

It's now months since my MaxDSL upgrade. I still lose my connection roughly every half an hour or so, even though my router looks happy. It's now routine - I reboot it and all is well after the brief interruption. Bit of a pain though.

Is there any update on this kind of problem? Is raising a contact us ticket really going to get anything useful done?

Bear in mind this is my sixth year with PlusNet, I've probably had broadband since it appeared and I've worked in IT for about 15 years. I'm not a womble and I know it's not working properly. I can't bear to call and go through the "idiot process" - "is your router plugged in" etc etc.

Does this "bell wire" thing really work??!!

Any help appreciated.
N/A

hey, I get an intermittent problem too. and its been happening for longer than 10 days - more like 2 months.
Generally its not a major issue when I'm browsing, but tonight I was trying to play an online match of Call of Duty and every so often the connection was dropped (with seemingly no pattern to the timings).
The connection is dropped, and from teamspeak, but i wait about 10 seconds and the connection is back up again. However I've been kicked from that round of the match and cant participate - lets my teammates down too!

A new ISP? Cry
gevenett
Grafter

I've been getting this too since the upgrade for over a month now, I searched the internet this morning for loss of synchronization which is the report my Netgear router gives and theres a few suggestions although I haven't tried any of them yet
1. change MTU to 1200 or 1400
2. revert back to previous firmware 2.10.10 if you are using the netgear DG834G
3. replace microfilter (also test with all phones/peripherals disconnected from the phone socket )

I never had any of these problems on the 2mb connection :-(
BigDaz
Grafter

I'm in the same boat, getting seemingly random but frequent drops in sync. Raised a ticket, Plusnet checked it and all is well, apparantly the problem is my end and therefore it's my responsibility to sort it. New filters helped but haven't solved it, just ordered a router to replace my pci modem.....
gevenett
Grafter

I'm probably jumping the gun here but I downgraded my firmware (Netgear DG834Gv2) to V2.10.22 and reduced MTU to 1400 and so far it appears I have had no loss of sync for the last 7 hours, usually I will have had at least 5-10 by now, I'll update in a few days if all is well.
gevenett
Grafter

Now 24 hours and no loss of sync, had to switch mtu back to 1492 but so far this seems to work, does anyone else here having problems have a Netgear DG834G router that could test this too ?