cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL - anyone got anything good to say?

N/A

I've been with NTL for ages, and having mobed into a house with no NTL, decided to stump for standard xDSL.

We use PN at work and have around 2 weeks of instability whilst moving over to MaxDSL. Some people have had weeks and weeks of problems.

With home products, does anyone have anything GOOD to report regarding PN & MaxDSLHuh
20 REPLIES
ID
Grafter

There is alot of ppl happy with there package (most ppl only come on forums etc when something is wrong)
I see alot of ppl complaining that they are connected at x amount but dont see that speed. If you look on the reverse side of things it isnt so bad. ie ppl only had a max speed of 1.8mb/s before now can get upto about 6mb/s. I have seen slower speeds at peak times (down as low as 25KB/s) but on average this is much higher. Hence the product is sold as an UPTO 8mb product.

The extra upload speed on max dsl is a big bonus for me as i upload quite a bit. Upload speeds are no where near as contended as download speeds so you will get full upload most of the time. This speed is also increased to 832kb/s for 20:1 variant customers.

Its just my opinion. Doesnt mean its right Smiley
Community Veteran

I had problems with mine for the first 2 weeks or so, nothing major but they were compounded by bad customer support. Since then MaxDSL has been great for me, very fast and fantastic for downloads.
namtab
Grafter

I had probs with max but in the last week things have improved, I think a lot of the problems to be fair are not with plusnet but BT.
Alecto
Grafter

Not a single problem, and syching at 5,5Mb.
But then you probably don't want to hear that. Tongue
N/A

Thumbs up from me as well Cheesy
Apart from taking over 3 weeks for my data rate to change it's been superb.
My only concern about moving to Max would be if you have a very long line and bad noise ratio, leading to frequent disconnections.
N/A

I've been with PlusNet for 3 1/2 years. Everything was fine up until this 'MaxDSL' rubbish. Now my connection is slow and intermittent at best and they've even changed their helpline so that they never answer any calls. Yes, PlusNet has changed..... for the worse. I expect to hear about their bankruptcy and closure announcement on the Beeb any day now.
N/A

I had problems with mine for the first 2 weeks or so, nothing major but they were compounded by bad customer support. Since then MaxDSL has been great for me, very fast and fantastic for downloads.

Yes i would agree with this, there were a few problems with mine to start off with but i have now had Maxdsl for about and month and apart from a couple of nights where the connection was really bad i have had an average download speed of about 4.4mb at peak times and about 5.2mb at off peak times so i can't complain as it's more than double my non Maxdsl speed.
N/A

The extra upload speed on max dsl is a big bonus for me as i upload quite a bit.

Same for me, I spend a lot of time FTPing and see the faster speeds there a great help. When ppl say they used to get 2meg but now they only get 4, what is their problem? Twice the speed for the same price sounds pretty good to me. Mind you, I live really close to the exchange and still see a lot more CRC errors. Again, this is probably down to BT not +net.
zebo-the-fat
Grafter

Works fine for me, between 2.5 to 5.5 M/sec. No drop outs, no problems!
N/A

mine seems to have all but settled now....constant 4mb in the afternoon evening, and 7mb from midnight to sort of 2pm..BUT...these things can fail.......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Mine has been very erratic due to a long line which gets noisy in the evening so my SNR takes a dive.
Have been playing about and basically I need to keep my SNR at / or above 10db to keep the error rate down to a reasonable level. I have interleaving switched on.
However I am now getting 2Mb speeds when before I only got 1Mb so I'm happy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Rock solid 8128 sync. No disconnects whatsoever. Speeds consistently between 4500 and 6000 24/7.

I did have very good line stats to begin with.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
polsapple
Grafter

It's all good. I think??!!
As per most, very erratic for 2-3 weeks and now seems to be all fine and dandy. Upload constant and just under theoretical max rate, download- I'm not to sure. Relatively constant and always synch at 8Mb (see below) but downloads no more than 4.5Mb. (still cant complain though). Unsure as to whether I should be seeing faste d/l speeds though. Not sure what to look at with regard to SNR/Margins etc..

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 8128
US Margin 26
DS Margin 12
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 22
US Line Attenuation 19
Path Mode Fast Path

Overall, mostly happy. CS is still poor though.
:?
aceofbase

Unlike some people I have found the CS people to be friendly and easy to work with (but it took me 30 minutes to actually talk to someone and I think I was lucky). Plusnet are open and honest about general problems they have with their service i.e. i have had problems downloading e-mails and found that the e-mail system generally had problems and it was being dealt with. Again open and honest.

It may be a point to remember that PN have had lots of new customers recently and the service might be a little oversubscribed. More CS people and better equipment will be needed to offset the new customers.

One last thing...

Upgraded to DSLMax on 3rd May with no noticable disconnections or problems (in fact I didin't know I was upgraded until a few days ago when I saw downloads in the 500kilobytes per second region). I live 1km from my exchange and have a good Netgear router that reconnects as soon as I am disconnected and this probably means that DSLMax works for me.

From one satisfied customer to everyone else, these people are good but CS needs more people.