cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL a little help required:

N/A

Finally on day 8 of my training (Sunday) My BRAS profile changed to 6000KB/s and during non peak speedtests etc are fine as is my connection (stable). But come to peak hours and my download speed is little more that 1MB speeds, Linux torrents a no go and my connection keeps dropping all the time.

So basically everything is fine during the daytime but at night I have a poor download speed and my connection keeps dropping. And doesnt seem to stabalise. I have noticed people mentioning daytime sync rates and evening rates, granted my evening rate is a little slower around the 7000 rate rather than high 7000's. but my concern is why does my line keep dropping!! Its really annoying, latency /ping times are still ok though...Any thoughts? Should my router / exchange start autmatically syncing at a lot lower rate at night to compensate?(This i would not mind)>?

Any thoughts/help appreciated...Day 10 tomorrow so maybe plus.net ticket might help?
Thanks
10 REPLIES
N/A

I may not be much help but in the 1st 10-14 days my eveing/peak time speeds where lower than 1MB but now I get fairly consistent speeds of 3.7MB download which I am prett happy about.

My Stable rate was upped by PN to 8000 a little over a week ago and my IP profile is now on 4000...but I'm happy with that.

i'd give your connection another week or so and you may(hopefully0 see some increase in peak time speeds.

as for P2P etc if you are BBMax Plus it's not designed for P2P unlike Premier.
N/A

Im on premiere.... It would be nice to see the speeds at peak time raise! But my main concern is the connection dropps, can be 10mins or 40 mins, but doesnt seem to stabalise in the evening, especially when im gaming this is annoying.!! Any other thoughts?
N/A

I never experienced connection drops up until last week, i updated my router's firmware and all seem's to be running smoothly now (touch wood)

Saying that just done a speed test and got 976kbps......spoke too soon.lol
N/A

Im a little reluctant to get a new ADSL router/modem due to this. Its quite old, but works fine during the day, its only peak time... Any other suggestions?

current router is a d-link dsl-504, latest firmware, never gave me any problems prior to this
N/A

Just one other thing, my download speeds seem very erratic, say downloading a test 100mb file from a high speed server, monittoring the incoming traffic, it can jump to 300kb/s and then down to 5 constantly up down really erratic...! Anyone seen this behaviour. the same file early on this morning was fine constant 500kb/s constant incoming. Just seems really odd behaviour..Im guessing this is related to the above, some sort of huge packet loss or something
N/A

Max DSL a little help required

As far as I am concerned MaxDSL is a complete con!!
8mb transfers dont exist on my connection, I am lucky to get 500kb. Before MaxDSL I had a stable 1Mb connection, now I have half that speed, drop outs and periods when connection cannot be made too. Complaining to PN is no use, they are incapable/unable to do anything; the BT specification is so loose that even the current poor performance is within specification.
I have been living with this poor performance for nearly six months, but wonder whether a change to another supplier would make any difference, I suspect that the basic BT infrastructure is really the problem.
Cry Cry Cry
Community Veteran

Hi colizhoward

Considering you have obviously found the change to BT-MAX to be detrimental, I would have thought PN would be prepared to put you back to your old 1Mb IP-Stream product if you asked them to.
shellsong
Grafter

@colizhoward

How about showing us your line stats-- maybe someone might have a useful suggestion or two
N/A

MaxDSL a little help required

Thanks for your replies, shellsong and seventhstar.
I wasnt offered, and havent pursued a return to 1Mb IP Stream on the basis that it is old technology that is being phased out and I would prefer to be on an up to date technology that is supposed to be properly engineered and supported(Huh) So far my faith is not justified.
I am now operating with a Netgear DG834G router, (having done all the main tests with the PN supplied BT 105 voyager modem). I havent seen any real improvement in speed, but am now less aware of the drop outs and reconnections. The line stats from the router today are as follows and the PN speed monitor this afternoon reported 475kbps
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1088 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 55 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 10 to 13db 17 db

I suspect that some of the problem is the DIG line that BT have supplied to this estate(30+ years ago), I know that I have some 50 metres (or more)of randomly coiled cable buried 3 feet down in my front garden!!!
shellsong
Grafter

Hmm, not very good though with your attenuation the rough estimate would be about 4 Mbps but the SNR figures won't really allow much more than 2 Mbps even with the alleged ability of Netgear routers to sail close to the wind.

One question is whether you can improve the SNR by modifying the phone wiring in your house-- are those the figures you get if plugged into the BT master socket with no extensions, phones or Skyboxes connected (preferably straight into the test socket behind the lower part of the faceplate if you've got a modern NTE5 master socket)?