Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL Upgrade

craiglay
Grafter

MaxDSL Upgrade

Can anyone help me?

I am wondering whether to finally make the jump to MaxDSL. I am currently on Premier 1 receiving a 2mb connection. This connection is extremely stable and I have really have had no downtime with it. Any speedtest (normally speedtest.net) during the day results in about 1800kbps even at 8pm in the evening.

What I would like to know, may be a silly question, but... Am I going to sacrifice a perfectly good connection for more speed. The Kitz checker says 8Mb and my router stats are, Atten: 4dB SNR 31dB I think (I live about 30 meters from my exchange Cheesy ) LLU is not provided at my exchange.

For the more tech people. Will my connection go through the same systems as on standard ADSL. As in, the DSLAM is probably different but PN systems, gateways the management system. (Comms team comment?) Is this the cause of many problems reported on here?

I like my quite quick stable 2 Meg connection but I would like 8 meg.

Many thanks in advance. Craig
9 REPLIES
N/A

MaxDSL Upgrade

Craig, Have a trawl through these forums and you will see plenty of posts from people who are having no service, some service or limited service. Why would you want to risk a faultless 2mb connection for the potential problems a max upgrade seems to cause?
Alecto
Grafter

MaxDSL Upgrade

Problem is Craig there are no guarantees.

Sure, quite a few people have had a decent connection knackered by Max. But more others, including me, have had no problems at all. The BT checker said I could get 1Mb possibly with an engineer visit, but I got stable 2Mb and am now stable at 5Mb.

Your figures imply that you should get stability at much faster speeds than you are now, and if it goes well, you will be chuffed. But if it goes wrong, it could be disastrous for you and mess up your connection for weeks or months. It probably won't go wrong, but it might.

All the subordinate stuff is the same - it's not like LLU where they hand you over to the mercy of Tiscali, and from which I opted out pronto.

So the probablility is that it will be great. But it just might go wrong. And they're not brilliant at sorting out problems at the moment.

Up to you, really. As Clint said, "Do you feel lucky?" :lol:
N/A

MaxDSL Upgrade

I was upgraded free from 2megs to 8megs,
Plusnet did not inform me of the config change from LLC to VMux.
I have sorted the settings out for 3 more frinds in the area who were also not informed.
My 8 meg connection is now unstable with at least 8 disconnections per day, all ISP related faults.
I fear with all the upgrades what are happening, the plusnet engineers are using the "try that see if that works" syndrome and are now embarrassed to inform people of proposed down time which has now created a chaotic scenario for them.
I fear this approach will make the transition period longer.
The hole what they are digging for themselves is getting deeper and deeper. They need to employ someone what is capable of getting a grip on this before they cant climb out.
Bojangles
Grafter

MaxDSL Upgrade

I'd go for it. I live much further away from the exchange than you and get a great 800kbps+ downstreams. Probably the best thing I ever opted in for.
craiglay
Grafter

MaxDSL Upgrade

Thanks for all your opinions people...

Rather mixed feelings still, I didn't really want to base my decision on looking through the "I cant get a connection" threads as i didn't think it painted an accurate picture.

@wolfe
I've heard a lot of modulation type and router config mis-configuration problems which MAX and LLU seems to be very sensitive to, at least i know the info now. Cheers

Also, my opinion on MAX is that it's BT trying to squeeze an unfeasible product down an aging network, trying to provide the highest speed for minimal investment. Can't comment on LLU but its probably the same.

Roll on fibre!! Do you think if I knocked on the exhange door with a reel, they'd let me plug it in somewhere?

Craig
N/A

MaxDSL Upgrade

If it works, don't fix it!!!!!
N/A

MaxDSL Upgrade

This thread has got me thinking. I'm in the same boat as craiglay, in that my 2MB connection is pretty rock solid. I host a number of non-commercial websites at the end of my DSL link and stability is more important to me than speed.

Is there really a way to NOT get upgraded to MaxDSL and have my service stay put, or will it happen one day, whether I like it or not :?:

Many thanks!
N/A

MaxDSL Upgrade

It happened to me, and I went from a stable 900Kbs connection to 128kbs (still stable, but then so is dialup!). I'm desperate to get it turned off.
craiglay
Grafter

MaxDSL Upgrade

@noelwilde

Yeah, I know that one off by heart now!!! So many times I wished I'd followed it tho..

@all

I took the plunge, I seem to remember after a few at the local public house in town... (possibly joking, but can't remember) And... I now have a super stable 8128kbps down and 448 up which hasn't dropped once, stats are, attenuation 4db, noise margin 22db. I can tell u its bloody quick now. Still in training tho so limited by PN to 2Mbit, will change in a few days hopefully. Most happy with it so far!

@sonicresolutions

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" I would say if your hosting services and are worried in any way and had a solid 2mbit, stay that way. You could try PM or posting a message to James Bailey saying you definately DONT want to "upgrade" else it probable WILL happen at some point..