cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL Loss of connection - wireless only

AndyR
Grafter

Since being upgraded to maxDSL - after a request through the forum - I am repeatedly losing connection through the D-Link [DSL624T ADSL2+] wireless Modem Router.

The system lights lose ADSL, system status [flashing normally to nothing] and WAN. Sometimes the system status light remains illuminated. Switching off and back on again restores the connection. Some times of the day are worse than others - evenings mainly which is upsetting the wife.

Before the upgrade it was always a steady connection. I have waited 2 weeks for the connection to settle down. The drop outs appear to be getting worse. The router is switched off when not in use.

After testing the connection through the master BT phone socket, removing the cover, it still drops.

With the old Speedtouch 330 USB modem there appears to be no loss of connection, tested for an hour when the wireless was dropping out every five minutes.

I have done a master reset and reinstalled all settings, it did appear better this morning with 4 or 5 drop outs over 4 hours.

Anybody else had a similar problem and managed to overcome the drop outs.

SNR 11dB 24dB
Attenuation 23dB 10dB
Synch speed 7616 and 448

regards
Andy
10 REPLIES
N/A

If you sit with your laptop 2 steps away from the router (where the signal is perfect), do you still get the problem?

Having installed several routers, I found that the sometimes changing channel I got some improvement. It seems that the higher the speed and the further away you are from the router, the easier it is to get disconnected.

However, my desktop is connected straight into the back of the router and I still get disconnected from time to time, just like everyone else, so it could be that there is nothing wrong with both your router and your laptop, but it is the ADSL line playing up.
AndyR
Grafter

Thanks for that, melstinks. I have been losing the connection, even close up.

This afternoon [Friday 29.9.06 about 1430] it would not hold a connection even close up, I could not even check which gateway I was on. This evening [1800 onwards] it held up well without dropping out.

This never happened prior to to the MaxDSL upgrade - the synch speed has reduced to 6168 [or something close to it]from the initial 8200 [or whatever it was when it started]

I will just have to see how it goes.

I have read that a tweak to the MTU [currently set at 1400 - the default I think] may help. I have tried 1478 and 1500 but there was no improvement it the amount of drop outs.

Any other ideas anyone.

regards

Andy
I finish nights on Monday so will ave a good go during Monday to see what happens.
N/A

When you applied to Plusnet for DSL MAX how long did you have to wait before getting the service ?

thanks.
N/A

exactly them same problem for me.

Was told only recently I had been moved to "Max" and this would be about same time I notice the connection is dropping. Sometimes need to reboot and at other times wait and it comes back on. Originally was told nothing to do with Plusnet, must be the new phone I had recently bought!

On top of that since being "upgraded" I now find transfer speeds have crashed to around 470kbps whereas before I was happily flying at 2mbps
ormesher01
Grafter

I have a ticket open with PN, 470kb top speed, supposed to be on 8MB, Just moved my router back next to the main PC connected directly. Since I went wireless the connetion was dropping out all the time so decided to move it back. No drop out since!
AndyR
Grafter

Thanks for yor responses.
The router has been moved from the window ledge next to a large plantpot to the floor - giving the aerial space to work in freely. It still drops out but I suspect that is a phone filter problem. I am planning to by one of those phone filter face plates, XTE-2005, that fits on the master socket [www.adslnation.co.uk] to try and remedy the DECT phone problem. The speed seems to have settled to about 350 upload and 3500 download.

Thanks once again for all help and ideas

Andy
AndyR
Grafter

to highway513764

I applied via q-jump in early June - twice I think - and then via forum posts which seemed to placing orders.

The system has very recently changed and I believe a charge is now in place if you request via a post in the forum.

Please be patient the wait is worth it - despite my own problems, self inflicted perhapsHuh.
Remember there will be disruptions as the service settles in to your line quality.

sorry the reply took so long as I have been working and was unable to access the forum.
Andy
N/A

Thanks for the reply.

I applied the middle of June and Plusnet acknowledged my request but have never got back to me.

They've probably thrown my request in the bin. Sad

We acknowledge your request to be regraded to DSLMax as a priority and will endeavour to submit your order ASAP.

Regards
Customer Support
AndyR
Grafter

I spoke too soon, yesterday and today have been terrible - even in the master socket.

It appears that the D-Link DSL-G624T cannot handle MaxDSL.

The D-Link website only has one Firmware upgrade which is a fix just for Broadband Teleconference facilities so will not help in this case.

The weather today has been very wet with a bit of a breeze.
The Speedtouch 330 modem connected at 5Mb and held for over two hours the wireless router lasted all of 5 minutes [in the master socket].

Time for a change back to the old 2Mb product.

Unless someone knows differently!!!!

Andy
AndyR
Grafter

After reading forums and being patient, very patient, the line has settled down. I have taken out wire 3 [ringer] from the master socket and extension.

Synch is now 7800ish down and 448 up. It is quite stable, does not drop out at dusk or when a bus passes in the rain.

Stable rate showing 4500 at present.

It looks like it just takes time to settle - a lot more than the 10 day period.
Or I am being lucky at the moment.

regards

Andy