cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL - Did you know this?

N/A

I was shifted to MaxDSL very early Thursday morning (13/4/06), that was 96hrs+ ago, my connection stay on an average of 40 SECONDS!!

PlusNet say I have to wait 10 days before BT will even look at it, and the same for all ISP's, so now my Internet business is losing money, and I only recently went Limited Sad

Having informed PlusNet of the problem on Thursday, they ignored my messages, I was cutoff on the phone constantly, and eventually got through Saturday night to be told they don't know why I had been ignored!!!! Helpful :shock:

I can't even be switched back onto the 2MB that was working like a dream.

I've searched Google and it appears this was a KNOWN problem during trialling, and is now effecting 100's (if not 1000's) of people, and as usual for BT they role out faulty gear and don't give a hoot about customer service.

If I go bankrupt, as I can't run the business on dialup, whose fault would that be? (I won't but just a thought). I'm connected with my Vodafone 3G card, and this is going to cost me £100's alone, who pays for that??

Considering PlusNet always inform us of updates/problems in advance, they missed this one big style, and I would never have let them upgrade me if I had known. So it is in part their failure to inform us of potential problems with a MaxDSL upgrade.

So with now over 2000 dropouts in 4 days, how much info does the damn MaxDSL system need? I wouldn't mind, but it keeps reconnecting with near enough the same figures!! (..and yes tried other computer, cables unplugged, tv off, other router/splitter, etc).

So the 10 days is up next Saturday, which means BT won't even bother till the Monday, and that is when they will decide what date to visit the exchange, if I still have this problem which is not improving even 0.00001%, so it looks like no Internet till the end of the month when I'm off on my hols.....maybe I should move them forward 2 weeks, as I know Internetin Singapore works.

This is off the BT forum.

I'd like to clear up a few misconceptions about how the MAX DSL service works and specifically answer a question that is becoming a theme.

I want to explain a few terms first.

Line Speed
This is the speed at which your equipment and the DSLAM Sync up at, this may change every time you turn your router off or you have a disconnection.
NOTE: The kinds of things that will have an influence on this are;
• Distance from the exchange
• Line Quality
• SNR and Attenuation
• Your internal wiring within your premises, i.e. Filters, extensions etc.
• Your Router or Modem
• The Firmware or Driver for the Router or Modem

Max Stable Rate:
ONLY after the first 10 days is this decided, it’s done on the basis of the performance of the line over the previous rolling 10 day period. Once this has been decided it will set a profile for the line on the BT BRAS and from that your throughput is determined.
NOTE: Due to patents etc, BT will not disclose what analysis is done on the line to determine this value.

Throughput:
This is how much data can to pass across the line. This is your actual speed while browsing and downloading etc.

Fault Threshold:
Once the Max Stable Rate is determined so will the Fault Threshold. This is 30% less than the Max Stable Rate. This will determine if BT will investigate any complaints about speed or not.
NOTE: It is very important to understand that your Throughput has nothing to do with this at all. BT will only investigate a possible speed problem if your LINE SPEED is less than the Fault Threshold.

BRAS Profile:
Once the line has a Max Stable Rate then BT will give it a profile which is done on the BRAS. This profile will determine the maximum Throughput a line can have. This is done because between the DSLAM and then BT’s core network there are chunks of bandwidth and to use that bandwidth in the most effective way possible they won’t allocate more that the Max Stable Rate to a line, this will prevent bandwidth being wasted.
NOTE: This value will always be in ½ Meg increments so it will only ever be something like 2meg, 2.5meg, 3meg 3.5meg etc.

So then the answer to the question

Q: What speed should I get during the 1st 10 days?

A: Once the line has been provisioned and the circuit is a MAX DSL line, the very first time that your router syncs up, that LINE SPEED is used to set a temporary BRAS profile for the line for the first 10days. After the 1st ten days & once the Max Stable Rate is set the BRAS profile will change and allow more Throughput.

A possible scenario:
My line is provisioned as MAX DSL, my router syncs up for the 1st time at 5.3 Meg, BT set the BRAS profile up as 5 Meg, even if my line syncs up at a faster speed during the 1st 10 days my throughput will not be more than 5 Meg. When my line is given the Max Stable Rate, the BRAS profile will change and I may get more or less Throughput depending on the performance over the previous 10 days.
(So for those of you unlucky enough to sync at 2 meg for the first time even if your line syncs at a faster speed after that for the 1st 10 days you will only get 2 Meg Throughput.)
19 REPLIES
N/A

Update:

5 Days now, and so far it has resynced 2173 times......is it a slow learner?? Maybe BT are using ZX80'a!!! :roll:

It's costing me a fortune, as I have to travel a 100 mile round trip to use someone else's broadband to keep my business going, on top of that I'm in very bad health and should not be driving.

Maybe if my local exchange went up in smoke, the BT engineers would have to come out Wink

I know Plusnet's hands are tied by BT, but why do they not stop rolling out this faulty product, or at least warn people before hand.

I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO GET BACK ONTO THE OLD SYSTEM THAT **WORKED**.
keithcalder
Grafter

Do you use cordless phones? And if so, is your base station anywhere near your adsl modem/router. I had lots of resyncs as my phones base station was too close to my router. I moved the base station and my sync loss problems dissappeared. Smiley
N/A

Try everything apart from suicide.....which as the Yanks say.....all cards are on the table :shock:
N/A

Current and past tests.

When I had 2MB and now Im on 8MB.

So if you first synched at 2.5MB are you saying after the first 10 days thats all ya going to get?
willhome
Grafter

/offtopic

dont use bitmaps for internet pictures. that few lines and characters is over a mb and could be less then100kb really. just adds to everyones bandwidth usage
N/A

Still no hope.....will be starting court proceedings today...happy days Evil

Update:
Day 6 of the 8MB upgrade;
3763 Re-connects
Average time online 42 seconds
Average download speed when online 130 kb/s (long enough to run the test isn't often)
Average upload speed when online 420 kb/s

I wouldn't mind, in over a year I was on 2MB, averaged 1.5MB download, never had 1 re-connect!!!! My dialup with Onspeed, currently loads Yahoo.com faster.....work that one out!

No wonder BT have 'patented' the software, as they know developers like myself will realise it has been done by a one armed epileptic monkey!!
deadkenny
Grafter

Out of interest, are you on a business package or a home package? If the latter, you haven't got a leg to stand on in terms of lost business.

Not sure even with a business package that any guarantee of service is provided with ADSL packages. Leased lines maybe.

If my business was so dependent on the Internet I'd also have a disaster recovery plan in place which includes a backup ISP.
N/A

Over 4000 resyncs.....are we having a birthday party today to celebrate :lol:

Of course I have internet access. I use AOL, another dialup company, and Vodafone 3G, as well as the modem on the XDA iis. Plus I travel around 100 mile round trip to ensure I can use someone elses broadband during UK racing, I ain't missing out on my personal income :roll:

PlusNet were going to raise a ticket with BT last night...hurrah.....now this morning I'm told I have to wait 10 days, Saturday morning....Booooo.... Sad Does anyone actually know what they are doing there?

If PlusNet suffered a power cut, and the supply company said wait 10 days before getting back to us if it doesn't come on, do you honestly think the management would just sit there for 10 daysHuh Rolix!!!
N/A

I think this is just a bit of bad luck.
I'm still waiting for my upgrade which I expect to be about 7Mbs.

My Brother who is with Nildram put his Max dsl order through and has just been upgraded.
Get this...
He is on a 7.5 mile telephone line and he had a 512Kbs connection.
The BT checker says his MAX dsl speed will be no faster than 512Kbs....

He's syncing at 1.7Mbs !! Cool

ON A 7.5 MILE line.!!!

Andrew
N/A

Upgraded a couple of days ago. Connection drops out every 5 mins. Is this normal for first 10 days or forever?Huh
N/A

5 mins :shock: I'd be made up with that, as it's long enough to load a web page, 40 seconds isn't Sad

Been with PlusNet 3 years, no problems. This is more BT, than PN whose hands are tied, so I'm sitting it out. It all gets sorted in the end, if it doesn't I can always cross over to the Philippines where there Internet is more stable :shock:
deadkenny
Grafter

If PlusNet suffered a power cut, and the supply company said wait 10 days before getting back to us if it doesn't come on, do you honestly think the management would just sit there for 10 daysHuh Rolix!!!

There are regulations requiring a level of guarantee of electricity supply or compensation for loss otherwise. There isn't such regulation when it comes to Internet provision for consumers.

i.e. The Internet is not deemed an essential service, no matter if your business depends on it (though as I say for the latter you should have a suitable level of business provision that will guarantee or compensate for loss of connection. I don't know if that's what you are on, or just on a consumer package and if the latter it's probably in breach of T&Cs anyway to run a business on it Wink).

Phone lines however are another matter. Your broadband can be down for ages with little compensation or commitment to fix it but if the phone is down they have to fix it fast or pay out compensation on a daily basis.

You could claim your phone line is faulty Wink
N/A

The Internet is not deemed an essential service, no matter if your business depends on it ...

Phone lines however are another matter. Your broadband can be down for ages with little compensation or commitment to fix it but if the phone is down they have to fix it fast or pay out compensation on a daily basis.

The compensation from BT for a dead line is much less now (used to be a month's rental per day it stayed faulty, now it is something like 1 month's rental for the first 3 days, 2 months if faulty up to 6 days, and 3 months, if faulty past 6)... Oh, and it is less if they divert calls to your mobile or some other line.

For internet access, if a business depends on it, then ignoring any possible SLAs (I assume one might get that for SDSL, if spending 1500+ a year, it would be reasonable to expect service to be returned to normal fairly quickly), the sensible option would be to have a second phone line. Even at 100 quid (installation) and another 120+ a year for rental, it would be a better backup.

Spending 100s on mobile or travelling the sort of round trip that has been mentioned and surely there's someone willing to allow use of a PC (for 25 quid a day, or even a PC shop, for more money a day) if it is essential for the business to be running OK and saves time and travelling.

Some ex-MP took Bulldog to court - was settled because he was 6 weeks without access - but I'd have argued that if he considered it essential, then making his own arrangements for a backup would still have been affordable.
N/A

So now I find it's not just me - mind you the connection only drops every 20-30minutes and so far I've been lucky whilst sending out important stuff. But I'm also getting loads of error messages eg when hitting ctrl/alt/del Iget application cannot initialise - in photo mechanic browser I've had the pictures turn black in front of my eyes (scary for a photographer on a deadline) - and this morning while running spybot the fatal blue screen . All this since I got my MaxDSL upgrade on Tuesday - pure co-incidence? I've run AVG, Ad-aware, Spybot and ChkDsk and only the usual suspects (tracker cookies)appear. I was perfectly happy at 2Mps (if indeed that is what I was getting) - so far this week I've spent two whole days on what ought to have been around three hours work