cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL 16kBps

N/A

MaxDSL 16kBps

Here's the stats from my Netgear DG834 router. Am I correct in saying the SNR (Noise Margin) is too low?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5376 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 41 db 12 db
Noise Margin 8 db 24 db

I'm getting download speeds of 128kbps, and upload speeds on ~300kbps.

Thanks
6 REPLIES
N/A

MaxDSL 16kBps

Its not ideal but workable. Mine is snr of 6 or less at 5556 and its keeps going with 3+ meg download.

It seem your BRAS hasnt updated which seems to be everyone problem
N/A

MaxDSL 16kBps

If it's been like that for a few days - you might want to try doing a disconnect/reconnect in the "connection status" window of the netgear web interface. Only if that doesn't work then a resync (power off/on) should see the speed go back up.
N/A

MaxDSL 16kBps

Thanks for your replies.

We usually turn the router off at night (which I now think might be part of the problem) so it gets resynced quite a lot.

Yesterday evening I plugged the router into the master socket but there was no change in SNR. I chose to leave the router switched on last night.

Today I'm looking at the stats and they have changed, probably because with me disconnecting and reconnecting the router last night DLM has reduced our sync speed thinking there's a fault.

The stats are now:

DownStream Connection Speed 1216 kbps
Connection Speed 1216 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 41 db 12.5 db
Noise Margin 20 db 21 db

I also know from telneting into the router that interleaving is switched on.

Its not ideal but workable. Mine is snr of 6 or less at 5556 and its keeps going with 3+ meg download.

I'd be very happy with a a 3Mb connection! I used to have a wonderful 2Mb connection and it was more than I needed.

But if it hadn't updated at all it would still be at 2Mb, so it's been downgraded. Could this be because I've turned the router off at night (i.e. it thinks the connection was lost and so lowers the BRAS profile)?

This has been the case since Easter, at least.
N/A

MaxDSL 16kBps

Thanks for your replies.

We usually turn the router off at night (which I now think might be part of the problem) so it gets resynced quite a lot.

Yesterday evening I plugged the router into the master socket but there was no change in SNR. I chose to leave the router switched on last night.

Today I'm looking at the stats and they have changed, probably because with me disconnecting and reconnecting the router last night DLM has reduced our sync speed thinking there's a fault.

The stats are now:

DownStream Connection Speed 1216 kbps
Connection Speed 1216 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 41 db 12.5 db
Noise Margin 20 db 21 db

I also know from telneting into the router that interleaving is switched on.

I'd be very happy with a a 3Mb connection! I used to have a wonderful 2Mb connection and it was more than I needed.

But if it hadn't updated at all it would still be at 2Mb, so it's been downgraded. Could this be because I've turned the router off at night (i.e. it thinks the connection was lost and so lowers the BRAS profile)?

This has been the case since Easter, at least.
N/A

MaxDSL 16kBps

Okay, today the connection speed is different again:
Connection Speed 640 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 37 db 12.5 db
Noise Margin 16 db 19 db

And last night I left the router on again.

Does this mean I'm still in my training period?
N/A

MaxDSL 16kBps

Ahh... and now the internet is faster again... for the first time in a long time! Download speeds of 60KB/s. I'd not what it should be, used to be a stable 2Mb connection but at least I can use this.

I'm scared to turn my router off/restart it in case it goes slow again :-s

Note to people, if you're being stuck at the slowest BRAS speed don't restart your router and leave it on 24/7 to see if that helps.