cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDSL 10 day trial access

N/A

Hi folks,

I know this might be going over old ground but I'd like an indication of what is the norm during the 10 day upgrade.

Previous to Friday 19th May, I was on a 2MB connection, but connected at about 1100 kbps as we live some distance from the exchange. Connection has generally been excellent and useable at nearly all times.

The upgrade to MaxDSL started on Friday 19th May and from that point onwards I have had virtually no access whatsoever. Now I know that the line is being trialled to find optimum speeds and the settings, but should it really be resynching every 30 seconds? If I'm very lucky, I may have chance to hop onto a web page that has little graphical content, but even that is not always assured.

It's early in the upgrade timescales (3 days elapsed) but I wasn't expecting to be completely without any broadband internet access whilst I'm paying for this time period. Is there a way to control the upgrade and switch back to standard ADSL in the real times of need for a short space of time? Seems like there is no fall back other than to use dial up, which then costs more money over the service I'm already paying for.

Fortunately, I can get on here from work, but it ruins the evening usage Sad

Cheers

Steve
13 REPLIES
drw
Grafter

Fortunately I am not experiencing the total outage you have, but I am getting outages of several hours during the evening. Day time use is OK - however I did have a 45 minute outage at 1 44pm today.

Once you get some useful time it may be interesting to to to the
http://www.l8nc.com

and get your line monitored 24 hours a day.

The outage pattern makes a mockery of "always on" and Voip services.
N/A

I had identical problems and had great difficulty in getting Plusnet to raise a fault. The symptoms repeated the probelm I had three years ago. This time the line was unusable in the eveining but fine during the day.

I placed my router stats on a web page part way through the training period. for the first few days I only kept the l8nc reports. These are also on the web site.

http://www.soroban.co.uk/routerstats/maxdsl.htm

If it is any consolation my line appears to be stable again, but only after the fault was raised with BT and we negotiated a change to the threshold to 12 dB.
drw
Grafter

After you had the SNR threshold set to 12 how much does it vary through out the day compared to before you had it set to 12.

What rate are you syncing at now?

Upto 10 days before my ADSLMax cutover I was experiencing very poor connectivity from about 5pm to about 11pm on weekdays, this had been occuring since November 2005. I raised it as an issue with PlusNet and then they had BT involved and after three visits from BT, BT changed the pair from the cabinet to the top of the pole and cleaned up the ends of the lines to and from the pole to the house. However they noticed a significant increase in attenuation from the cabinet to the house which the engineer could not explain.

After the line repair my daytime SNR went from 22 to 32 and evening SNR from hovering abound 5 to 8 up to 26.

.... and now with ADSL Max it is about 10 or 11 in the daytime and 5 to 8 in the evening.
shellsong
Grafter

Re: MaxDSL 10 day trial access

Now I know that the line is being trialled to find optimum speeds and the settings, but should it really be resynching every 30 seconds?

Your problem may be down to what was mentioned on ADSLGuide here-- have a good look at this bit
What seems like a good step in the right direction BTw has now admitted that there is a problem with constant disconnections. They have not been specific about the extent of the problem and have been adamant that it only affects a small number of lines.

From their explanation the problem appears to be caused after lines are allocated the MSR and FTR, if at that point the router tries to sync at a certain speed and that speed is less than the FTR the Max logic does not allow sync to take place. The router will then try again, and the sync process happens over and over again.
N/A

After you had the SNR threshold set to 12 how much does it vary through out the day compared to before you had it set to 12.

What rate are you syncing at now?

Upto 10 days before my ADSLMax cutover I was experiencing very poor connectivity from about 5pm to about 11pm on weekdays, this had been occuring since November 2005. I raised it as an issue with PlusNet and then they had BT involved and after three visits from BT, BT changed the pair from the cabinet to the top of the pole and cleaned up the ends of the lines to and from the pole to the house. However they noticed a significant increase in attenuation from the cabinet to the house which the engineer could not explain.

After the line repair my daytime SNR went from 22 to 32 and evening SNR from hovering abound 5 to 8 up to 26.

.... and now with ADSL Max it is about 10 or 11 in the daytime and 5 to 8 in the evening.

My SNR was only varying from 5.5 to 6.5 before the threshold was change. It is now varying a similar amount. when the BT engineer phoned me he could see his own results and these matched my router to within 0.5 dB. three years ago it was my attenuation which was verying wildly fro 38 to 52. After a lift and shift it settled to 55 to 58 and has remained their ever since. this is more plausible for 3.1 km from the exchnage.

I am syncing at 2668 today as the router ahs disconnected twice. until today it had been 2400 since last Friday. I am reasonably happy with this and prefer a stable connection to an unusable even if it is a bit slower.
N/A

Thanks guys, this helps a lot. My SNR before the upgrade was around 14dB, it now fluctuates between about 4db and 8db, but normally around 6db. It's still exhibiting the same problems so has now been ongoing for a week. I raised a ticket but nothing notable has appeared on it yet. It said they were checking the line and to check back in two hours, but that was three days ago and it still hasn't updated Sad

This is somewhat annoying to say the least Sad
N/A

Well would you credit it. Got home today and it now appears to be working at 2.5 Meg. Whilst I appreciate I need to wait for it to sort itself out, it's now been a week since I was last on via plusnet. Probably won't see that week's worth of payment back for loss of service Sad I really wouldn't have minded if it had just been slow browsing and slow collection of emails, but I literally had NO service at all and had to read all my emails from work (which I'm not going in to do at a weekend!).

Oh well, at least it's working again now (although I'm monitoring it closely now in case it falls over again!).
N/A

Well that didn't last long Sad

It crapped out again and now is going through general resynching like it was before Sad I knew I shouldn't have closed my ticket!!!! Thankfully my neighbour has yet to be upgraded so his connection works and he's let me use it!
N/A

What a shambles. It's now been suggested that my hardware may be at fault if I don't get a consistent connection after 1st June. It was working fine prior to the upgrade starting. I've had about 30 minutes useable connection time in 10 days which is just not acceptable. Works fine on my neighbour's PlusNet connection. What a stupid f**king assumption. We're not all computer numpties you know. 23 years of using computers and 15 years of developing on and maintaing systems gives me a little knowledge :roll:

I was previously happy with the service that PlusNet provided. That opinion has gone well and truly down the pan. My line may resolve itself around 1st June, still doesn't make it right that I've had 10 days with about 30mins useable access. My companies working from home policy has been well and truly shafted Sad

A very disgruntled Steve.
N/A

Could you try swapping ADSL modems for a few days with your neighbour and see what happens?
N/A

Could you try swapping ADSL modems for a few days with your neighbour and see what happens?

We tried it one evening for an hour or so, his connection using my modem worked fine, mine using his didn't Sad

It appears to have stabalised now, so it looks like it was purely down to the MaxDSL upgrade.

Two things that spring to mind that have annoyed me with this whole upgrade process.....

1) The response I received on my ticket that suggested I buy a new router/modem if the problem persisted after 14 days. Now some people may be stinking rich and be prepared to throw away money, but given my hardware was working fine and works fine at my neighbours who I had recommended to use PlusNet, I didn't see that as the problem.

2) The FAQ about the upgrade specifies that there may be intermittent drop-outs and also drops in speed. There really should be a warning in there to say that you may be without broadband completely during this upgrade process. If that had been the case, I would have been happier to let this run its course before getting irate that a third of this month bill was wasted.

I'm leaving my ticket open for a further few days in case it decides to go mental again and start dropping connection continuously.

Whatever algorithm BT are using for it to self test and monitor the line, is clearly very poor as it was trying speeds that I could see would clearly not work.

I'm happy that my connection at least appears to be back up, but PlusNet, please update your FAQ to let other people know that they may be CONTINUOUSLY disconnected during the upgrade process.
drw
Grafter

Hence the new marketing phrase of

"Often Off"

to replace the old phrase of "Always on"

Who ever sanctioned the introduction of a new protocol that required the users service to be removed in an ad hoc manner for an unspecified amount of time - with no guarantee that the service would ever return to be a reliable "mostly on" if not "always on" service should be sacked.
N/A

Checked my logs this morning and I synchronisation issues in the early hours of this morning Sad Was up and working (barely) though when I checked the connection. I'm monitoring it until 1st June which is the end of my 14 day grace period, or whatever it's called, and will decide what to do from there.

I've asked PlusNet to leave the ticket open with me whilst I monitor it and I will close it if I'm happy.

I noticed it was trying to connect at around 3000 kbps again which gives me a crap connection, whereas it seemed relatively stable at around 2500 kbps. We live a distance from the exchange so I'm not expecting any faster speeds than the 3000, but stable would be nice!