cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max'd 6 days ago but no speed increase

N/A

Hi folks,

My 2Mb Premier service was DSL Max'd 6 days ago, but my real-life service speed hasn't increased. The Netgear DG834G router has recognised the higher line speed, reporting...

Connection Speed
downstream 8128 kbps
upstream 448 kbps

Line Attenuation
downstream 27 db
upstream 7 db

Noise Margin
downstream 11 db
upstream 27 db

...although my actual download speed hasn't increased - this is tested via PlusNet, ADSLguide and BT bandwidth testers. PlusNet reports (http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate) that
Your current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps
, which is the same as the BT test reports
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
. I get typical download speeds of 1900-ish kbps.

Why is my service capped at the old rate, even though the line speed has increased? I've been connected for extended periods in the last week and have discon'd/rebooted the router once or twice per day.

cheers,
Ben
30 REPLIES
N/A

Plusnet have since raised my Stable Rate to 8000kbps but BT is still reporting my line profile as 2000kbps. Is this normal?

cheers,
Ben
N/A

I got maxed on friday but so far havet had any line changes. iv got the Netgear DG834GT, which reports no change. and plusnet tools say 2000kbsp.

How long was it untill your router picked up the new line speeds?

Iv tried rebooting the rooter atlest once a day, but to no avail so far.
N/A

Pretty quick - the router (Netgear DG834G) picked up the new rate I think within 24hrs. Certainly less than 48hrs. I just wish I could make use of the higher line speed! :roll:

cheers,
Ben
Nocturne
Grafter

My 2Mb Premier service was DSL Max'd 6 days ago, but my real-life service speed hasn't increased.

As soon as you are on MaxDsl your Router will sync at the highest speed it can based on your Signal to Noise Ratio. After deducting a Signal to Noise Margin what is left determines your speed.

In your case you can obviously sync easily at 8128 which isn't surprising given your stats.

There are suggestions that BT can normally Train your line within 3 days but quote 10 days.
They will not pursue potential problems of speed until the end of the 10 day Trial and ISP's often add a couple of days for good measure.

There are also suggestions that the better your line conditions, ie the more stable with few re-syncs, the greater the likelihood of problems with BT's somewhat imperfect systems in terms of responding and setting your Data Rate at the correct level based on your sync speed.

Powering your Router down as you have can help but is not guaranteed.

At the end of the Trial, or shortly thereafter, if your Data/Stable Rate has not increased in line with your sync speed you may need to raise a Ticket to have PN check this out with BT.

Your throughput will always be limited by the lowest figure quoted by BT and PN.
They should of course be the same.

A change in BT's value should be automatically reflected by PN but again sometimes it doesn't quite work out that way.

Having re-read your post you confirm PN give your Data Rate as 8000 and yet BT still show it as 2000. This may be related to the Trial but after 6 days with your stats it may not.

If BT shows 2000 and PN show 8000 consistently then I would be inclined to raise a Ticket before the Trial ends.
N/A

Thanks John,

I've already raised a ticket, but at this time PN say they can't/won't raise escalate it to BT as the performance is within BT's guidelines.

cheers,
Ben
N/A

Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 20.0 db 11.0 db
Noise Margin 29.0 db 25.0 db

all look ok? (obv apart from the sync speed Tongue)

I think i should be on MAX as i got the email from PN. But i know im not as my speed tests are rock solid, and everything is still 2mb.

so basicly just wanting to check if those router stats are good for a 8mb snync?
N/A

lmcconnachie - Yeah those stats are definitely good enough. I have slightly better ones myself and was activated on Plusnet (new customer) on Friday but haven't seen anything above 2meg either. Router reports the same 2mb speed as yours does. Giving it a few days before asking anyone what's taking so long. I assumed new customers would be upgraded to MAX as soon as they were connected!
N/A

I am just 2 days into my MAX upgrade - I am still capped at 2mb (I will just have to wait)

Downstream Rate: 8128 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 832 Kbps
Downstream Margin: 1 db
Upstream Margin: 7 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 39
Upstream Line Attenuation: 20

Your current broadband speed is 2000 Kbps (plusnet)

Not sure how to get hold of the BT speed ?Huh
rz2k7
Grafter

@bylink

If your upload speed is 832Kbps you may be on LLU as BT Maxdsl is 448kbps unless you're on a business package?

@everyone else

You'll have to wait for the 10 days training period, then if no speed increase you'll have to raise a ticket like I did because more than likely BT haven't updated your BRAS profile.
At the time it took about 3 weeks for my speed to be sorted.
N/A

@bylink: you can get your BT-reported line profile from their speed tester: http://speedtester.bt.com/.

Plusnet have reported my case as a fault to BT -- hopefully my line profile will get updated by BT now. :-) With any luck, anyway...

cheers,
Ben
N/A

No I am sure that I am a home package - PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 - but the account is paid for from my busibess account - is there a way to see if I am on LLU?

The BT speed test site is overloaded right now...
N/A

Finally managed to get my BT speed test as follows :-

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7232 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1962 kbps

I guess that I just need to wait until the PN script updates (after 10 days?) in order to get better download speeds.

I am VERY happy with the upload speeds however Smiley
N/A

max dsl

hi here is some info on max dsl very interesting you may find it usefull

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/adslmax_explained.php Smiley
N/A

MYBARS speed is still strapped at 2MB - my router is showing 8000/800

It has been 8 days now since max - when should i expect a speed increase?