Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Stable Rate

ipdialup
Grafter

Max Stable Rate

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody out their on ADSL Max ever get's anywhere near their max stable rate.

Mine is a 7500kbps, (Line syncs at 7636kbits/sec) but the best I've ever seen from the bandwidth checker on the portal is around 5000kbits a sec roughly 600Kbytes a sec, I seem to be missing around 2000kbps, or roughtly 200kbytes a sec...

Is this normal or should I did around?

Could it be due to contention on my exchange or just on the back haul through plus net's network?

Anyway I can find out where the bottle neck is?

Cheers,

Andy.
5 REPLIES
ipdialup
Grafter

Max Stable Rate

Hmmm,

Just done a check on my exchange at Status is Red VP problems, with an ETA of 28th Of Nov.

So maybe this explains the reduced throughput?
N/A

Max Stable Rate

My exchange is red with the same date, and it's been red since the end of September. It was supposed to have been upgrated last month, but the date was just changed with it staying red.

I have maxed my line, but tonight was really bad with only 309 kb/s download.
Dodgydog
Grafter

Max Stable Rate

maybe someone could explain the mysterious stable rate to me ?
since line was activated have NEVER had sync speed lower than 8128 (next door to bt exchange lol)
done both the speedtesters several times , bt reports ip profile as 7150 (apparently thats the best there is with max)
plusnet stable rate set to 3000 (yes been doing the reboot thing)
bt advised me to contact PN , i did ,they said it was set by bt automatically
have just checked stable rate again and has it gone up ? ,No it has dropped even further to 2000 , i had better speeds when i lived 5 miles away . can someone explain what is going on
N/A

Max Stable Rate

The4 PlusNet Stable Rate is supposed to be based on the delta reports from BT, be the same or similar to your BRAS rate.
You can make a guess at your BRAS rate by doing timed downloads and speedtests at different times of day, but http://test.speedtester.bt.comwill tell you what your BRAS rate is.. if you can log onto it. Best time for that is between 6 and 7.30 am as it gets very busy and becomes unusable for the rest of the day.

If you get low sync events, if you can't keep a high sync speed all the time, your BRAS will drop to the lowest speed you've synced at and takes 3 days (at least) of higher sync to change. That's supposed to generate a delta report for PlusNet who then increase your stable rate.
The PlusNet stable rate has nothing to do with BTs MSR, it is related to BRAS rate, but it can get complicated.
Add to that the fact that BT don't always send delta reports, maybe sometimes PlusNet may miss them, and the BT BRAS itself can get stuck and you have a host of problems.
The disconnecting is supposed to force the generation of a Delta Report. It doesn't always do so.
Dodgydog
Grafter

Max Stable Rate

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1958 kbps

above are results from bt speedtester ,the ip profile and dsl connection rate NEVER change no matter what time of day or night i perform test
used to have 2900 througghput when PN had stable rate set to 3000 , they have reset profile for me and hence the above throughput with stable rate set to 2000