cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max DSL query

pint
Grafter

Max DSL query

My line was 'upgraded' to max DSL from a 2mb line about 12 days ago, however theres been hardly any difference in speed.
the plusnet speed test reports 1872.6kbs and ADSL guide reports:
Downstream 1,653.4 Kbps ( = 1.6 Mbps )
Upstream 340.0 Kbps ( = 0.3 Mbps )

I read something about having to reboot the router/modem each day druing the 'training period' but i was unable to do this as i was away.

the plusnet page http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
says this

"Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps
"

and my router reports this:

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 448
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 8128
US Margin 17
DS Margin 7
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 27
US Line Attenuation 28

some BT checker thing reports this
Connection Status Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

Is there something not right there?

My local Exchange is about a four minute walk down the road.
4 REPLIES
geoffers
Grafter

Max DSL query

Hi - I had good synch rate reported by my router, but the actual speed achieved was significantly lower.
In the details on http://portal.plus.net/features/highspeed.shtml it states
if you see that your hardware is reporting a higher speed, you will need to connect at that speed at least once a day for a 3 day period to automatically update your connection speed.

For a few days, it's worth turning off overnight & on first thing in the morning (less contention) - you should then see an improvement in your actual connection speed (bras profile updated)

It worked for me Smiley

More info in http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml#BRAS, which explains the Bras profile
Broadband Remote Access Server Profile (BRAS)
The BRAS profile is responsible for regulating the maximum throughput (data rate) you will receive on your DSL Max service. Initially this is set to 2Mbps (if the line rate is above 2172kbps), but it will increase if your line can support higher speeds than this. The first data rate increase should take place within 75 minutes of your receiving Max service. Your BRAS profile however, changes only when a stable connection has been made for a period of time; this may be up to 3 days in some cases. The BRAS Profile can also drop should the line rate decrease significantly

Cheers, Geoff
penders
Grafter

Max DSL query

Hi rtmtft,

I read something about having to reboot the router/modem each day druing the 'training period' but i was unable to do this as i was away.

Yep, I've seen that too, although I have read from other people on these forums - from those who have been 'upgraded' very successfully/smoothly - that they have left their router connected 24/7 and they were fine!

Actually, did you leave it switched on or off?

Must admit, like geoff, I have had to reset a few times to improve connection speed (once a day...) and I've had other problems, but that's for another thread!

It may just take a bit longer....
pint
Grafter

Max DSL query

the routers been on all the time, and nothing above 1.84meg.
someone in the Pub sugested that i call into the local exchange to see if they could sort it there and then ( ie actualy go to the door of the exchange and knock/ring the bell ) as the helplines are useless.
penders
Grafter

Max DSL query

actualy go to the door of the exchange and knock/ring the bell

I think maybe the folk on this thread:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46586
should try doing something like that! They all seem to be connected to the same exchange and have ZERO connection!

To be honest though, do you actually have a problem? It looks like to me that your speed is perhaps just not as fast as you would like or expect it to be - I think you just need to give it a bit more time, as it looks like you have a good line. The Max process seems to be taking a lot longer than the aforementioned couple of weeks. I have to admit, if my connection speed had stayed as it was during the Max upgrade I would have been more than happy!! At least it doesn't look like you've been LLU'd yet!!!

(Dang, I actually lost connection to PN (although I still had sync) trying to post this!!)