Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max DSL at last. does this mean....

firmager
Grafter

I've just checked the status of my exchange and it now says:

Upgrade Status
Good News, BT have finished enabling this exchange for Max DSL products.
Products will be available from 31/03/06.

Does this mean I will be able to use my 8mb connection as of the 31st march or will i have to wait a few days/weeks for Plus.netHuh

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
11 REPLIES
N/A

there is nothing saying you will get 8mbit, post your line stats and some one will tell you the kind of speed you will get.(probs between 3 n 4 meg)
Community Veteran

Even though the exchange may have been upgraded, MaxDSL still has to be enabled on your line and BT will not do this automatically.

PN first have to put in a request to BTW to switch your line to MaxDSL, BTW then have to schedule the upgrade with the 100,000s of other requests from all the other ISPs and then finally do the upgrade. The last 2 could take up to 6 months or more.

Even though your exchange is enabled now, PN will be prioritising those users who are on the up to 4Mbs and Up to 8Mbs products before those on the standard up to 2Mbs products.

So it's impossible to say when you will be able to use the higher speeds.
firmager
Grafter

ok thanks for this, it sort of confirms what i already thought.
N/A

I have a technical question on this ...

I'm not really knowledgeable in these areas but I would have thought that the exchanges, and plusnet were all computerised

so when the exchange is ready and it's older digital equipment has been replaced with 8MB cpmpatible kit, then surely all that is required is to submit to the computer systems at BT and PlusNet a database of the customer details. The computers would then change the settings at each end and the upgrade is complete..

So why does it take so long to make the upgrade - it's not as if any physical work is required

Or does someone have a more accurate technical explanation ?

Or is the 6+ month delay something that was introduced to pacify people who paid double for an 8MB account only to find out that those paying for 2MB will get the upgrade at no extra cost ?
Griffo
Grafter

The delay I would have thought is do with the fact there are what, 5500 exchanges approx, several thousand users (in some cases) on each and BT have to upgrade all these, so bare that in mind I guess.
SimonZerafa
Dabbler

Hi,

Will there be any facility to pay a fee for the regrade in order for MaxDSL to be enabled quicker on my line?

KInd Regards

Simon
Community Veteran

There should be however details are still TBC
Midville
Grafter

I now get the following message from BT:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

My stats are

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 11 db 3 db
Noise Margin 31 db 30 db
keithcalder
Grafter

I just ordered an upgrade throught the portal and got this back:

Unfortunately, British Telecom have rejected the order to regrade your
broadband service. This usually occurs because of inconsistances in the
administrative records held by British Telecom or ourselves. Your order has
been forwarded to our regrades team for manual investigation and
processing, a process which normally takes two working days. We apologise
for this delay to your regrade order and will place it as soon as
possible.

BT really are crap, never had regrade problems before. :shock:
daviez
Grafter

Same here with the "BT has rejected your regrade..." message. "Inconsistencies"...? Geez - this is a brand new, 3-week old line which was installed in my name at this address. What the heck can be inconsistent...?

:roll:
keithcalder
Grafter

Just had another email from Plus this morning stating that the regrade attempt has failed agin.