cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive slowdown...

juliepeez
Grafter

Massive slowdown...

For the past three days or so my download speed has been around a quarter of what it normally is and browsing websites has become almost dial-up like.
How do I find out what is causing this?

[Moderator's note by Chris (Eurotrain4): Topic moved from Guest forum since you're a regular member!]
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Massive slowdown...

You will need to try a BT speed test, if that returns low speeds then the problem is with BT, otherwise it is with plusnet.

For more information on the bt speed test see: http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
N/A

Massive slowdown...

I think you will probably find its called sup Wink
juliepeez
Grafter

Massive slowdown...

I don't know what "sup" is but I'm presuming it is something to do with the acceptable usage policy or whatever it's called. That isn't the reason, the highest I've ever downloaded in month is around 15 GB and my monthly average is about 7-8GB
N/A

Massive slowdown...

Hi juliepeez,

You are correct. The Sustainable Use Policy isnt the cause of this.

Post the results of a couple of BT speed tests and we'll be able to see where the problem lies.
juliepeez
Grafter

Massive slowdown...

I tried the BT speed tester and that was showing normal speed so I got back onto Plusnet who gave me some different DNS servers to try. With these the speed was back to normal and it is also back to normal with the original ones as well so it has been resolved, whatever the problem was.
Just like to point out that plusnet support was very prompt and helpful.
N/A

Massive slowdown...

Glad you are sorted.