cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual connection setup ????? what exactly is needed ????

N/A

I am just in the process of broadband activation. My line has been submitted to bt for their engineer to do the necessary work to set me up at the exchange.

I went for the £21.99 option and have bought my splitters & speedtouch 330 alcatel modem & thought i'd set up the necessary stuff ready for when my modem adsl light stops flashing & plusnet confirm that my account is activated.

However, i'm a little confused. I can get all the manual dns settings & stuff from my account details but i've just installed the modem software which gave me the 'Alcatel Speedtouch Connection' icon on my desktop.

I clicked this out of curiosity to see what came up. I get the speedtouch dial-up box which the connection bit is pre-filled with alcatel speedtouch connection & the two below obviously need my username & password. The bottom one is blanked out.

I have a few questions. Firstly, why is the bottom box blanked out.

Secondly, do i need to setup all the stuff in 'connections' if i go through internet explorer properties where you can manually configure your internet connection as if it was a dial up, where you put in primary & secondary dns servers & stuff (in internet protocol).

Do i need to do all that or is just filling in the username & password in the alcatel box suffiecient to connect me once my account is activated. help!!!!!!!!
3 REPLIES
N/A

To get the password box back, it is my understanding that you need to install the "Client for Microsoft Network" in the network control panel.
N/A

Sorry, i think i might have been confusing here.

I can fill in all the details in the alcatel box. I can also fill in what i need to if i go through the manual process of setting up a new internet connection using the connection wizard in IE.

My question is... Will the alcatel software be enough for me to connect to the internet once my broadband is connected, or do i need to go in and manually set up a new internet connection fillling in the dns, & all the other associated stuff.

Anyone else with a speedtouch modem please let me know what you did to setup & connect to the net.
N/A

Sorry.

You modem should collect all the DNS information it need when making the connection