cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing domain Email

N/A

Managing domain Email

Hi,

I have a domain name hosted on my +net account. Currently, Email for that domain is deposited into the account mailbox and collected via POP3.

What I'd like to be able to do is set up some Email re-direction for the domain, but without setting up extra mailboxes.

So, if I have a domain called, mydomain.co.uk (0/10 for imagination), I'd like to set up the following aliases:

ian@mydomain.co.uk -> ian@hotmail.com
susan@mydomain.co.uk -> susan@hotmail.com

You can see that I want to redirect Email sent to Ian and Susan to seperate Hotmail accounts. All other Email should make it's way into the +net account and collected via POP3 later.

I don't think we can do this via the portal.

I am aware of setting up extra mailboxes, each with their own passwords, but that doesn't work here.

Can this be done with our +net account?

Cheers ta, Ian.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Managing domain Email

Yes and no depending n your current setup.

Using your two examples we have the following.

Anything addressed to ian@mydomain.co.uk is the same as sending mail to ian@username.plus.com

They both are dropped in the same mailbox.

As such, the mailbox configuration system, located HERE, affects both your domain and username.plus.com mail.

Thus, if you setup a redirect on that page of ian, to ian@hotmaik.com, both ian@mydomain.co.uk and ian@username.plus.com are re-directed.

That concludes the Yes part.

However, you should note above, that if you use ian@username.plus.com for other purposes and don't want it re-directing, then there is no simple way.

You could use SMTP mail delivery, however, this would involve you finding a service provider for it, or hosting your own server.
N/A

Managing domain Email

Yes and no depending n your current setup.

Using your two examples we have the following.

Anything addressed to ian@mydomain.co.uk is the same as sending mail to ian@username.plus.com

They both are dropped in the same mailbox.

As such, the mailbox configuration system, located HERE, affects both your domain and username.plus.com mail.

Thus, if you setup a redirect on that page of ian, to ian@hotmaik.com, both ian@mydomain.co.uk and ian@username.plus.com are re-directed.

That concludes the Yes part.

However, you should note above, that if you use ian@username.plus.com for other purposes and don't want it re-directing, then there is no simple way.

As I've discovered Smiley

You could use SMTP mail delivery, however, this would involve you finding a service provider for it, or hosting your own server.

For the YES part - unfortunately, it is not quite what I want. I really want the clarkclan.plus.com account and mydomain.com to be treated independantly. I can see that havign the domain hosted aloingside my +net account is causing me the problem.

Not quite sure why SMTP mail delivery would help.

As it is, the domain is actually set up to deliver via SMTP to our server, and MS Exchange does a fine job of filtering it all out into the relevant mailbox. BUT, I have a (hopefully temporary) problem with Exchange which is causing Emails to be held on the server for several hours before being forwarded to other mailboxes. Hence, I am looking to re-direct the Emails before they get to the server.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers ta, Ian.
N/A

Managing domain Email

You currently can't treat your username.plus.com and domain.co.uk e-mail seperatly on the PlusNet platform.

As such, the SMTP route is the only way.

With SMTP, you are telling the DNS to forwards MX requests to a different server (IE, not PlusNets).

You allready do this with your exchange server.

MX records define what server(s) are designated to handle incoming e-mail for a domain. When soembody sends an e-mail to you, it does not go through any other e-mail servers other than your own (with the exception of the orignating ISPs network).

As such, there is no system before your Exchange server that you can configure to do this.

It would either need to be your exchange server doing this, or reconfigure the DNS records sot hat another server handle the e-mail first, perfosm any redirections, and if need be, then send the rest onto your Exchange server./
N/A

Managing domain Email

As such, there is no system before your Exchange server that you can configure to do this.

It would either need to be your exchange server doing this, or reconfigure the DNS records sot hat another server handle the e-mail first, perfosm any redirections, and if need be, then send the rest onto your Exchange server./

All that you wrote I understood perfectly.

Just for added info, within Exchange you can set up a mailbox such that any mail received into it can be forwarded automatically to mailboxes at other ISP's, while keeping a local copy of the server. It's the sort of thing tou do if you are going to be away from the office for a short time.

Unfortunately, I think I have a problem with our server in that although the forwarding works, it seems to take the server a few hours (up to 10 in some cases) before it sends out the Email. Not acceptable.

So, I'm looking at various ways of dealing with this until I can resolve our server issue.

Cheers ta.
N/A

Managing domain Email

Juts to add, I'm considering moving the domain to one of them there cheap +net products (such as Lite) and transferring the domain to that. Then I could set up some re-direction rules.
But this of course adds a cost and a (albeit minor) complication in how we deal with the re-direction.

Ho hum Smiley

Cheers ta.
N/A

Managing domain Email

Not as much as some providers would charge your for such services.

Does your Exchange server logs show any connection attempts within that time at all?

It does seem odd that it takes that much time.