cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a manual connection

N/A

Hi

I have a Binatone ADSL500 modem but do not wish to be connected all of the time for security reasons. Do I always have to connect via the Binatone icon from my desktop and then go to my home page OR is there a way of automatically connecting when opening I.E. and hence loading my homepage immediately? (i.e. as dial-up normally works)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What are your concerns regarding being on all the time?

With a good virus scanner and software firewall (which you should have anyway) you should be pretty secure from outsiders.
N/A

Yes, I am running Norton Internet Security 2003

Maybe I'm being too cautious, must be my age!!
Community Veteran

I don't actually have an answer to your question but hopefully someone else will.

Although I don't know your modem or if it's even possible to do what you want but maybe the settings in IE->tools->internet options->connections tab may do what you want. Either always dial my default connection or dial whenever a connection is not available will do it but the 2nd option has caused problems with the dialup window appearing from time to time asking to connect to the net while surfing.
N/A

I have a similiar problem.....

My folks just ordered the easystart package (the same one as I ordered 4 months ago).

they got the Binatone 500 adsl external usb with their package where i got the turbocomm external usb modem.

I connect up through internet explorer usnig the dial up connection where i can have it so i must enter the password. But my folks have to connect through this web page link that is created within the desktop - having no option to have to enter the password manually to connect.

I have a 13 year old brother who my folks dont want going on the internet without their permission, so as you can see at the moment all he has to do is go into his user (windows xp setup) and he can surf away. With IE at least dial up can be set to enter a password...

Anyone know a way around this?Huh
N/A

What are your concerns regarding being on all the time?

With a good virus scanner and software firewall (which you should have anyway) you should be pretty secure from outsiders.

When you say on all the time do you mean the connection to Plus being on all the(connection icon shows as being connected)time?
If so what reason is there to be connected all the time?
Why not just connect when needed?
N/A

May be a very basic answer, but what about unplugging from the phone socket or unplugging the USB connection of the modem.

For keeping the kids off, in XP, create a new user with the modem disabled.