cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a Home network with Broadband

N/A

Making a Home network with Broadband

Hi,
Im new to broadband, and i need a little help. I have until recently only had the one computer, but now i have 2, a desktop and a laptop. I have the Plusnet Home self install. Now that I have two computers i really need a basic home network. I wish to share the printer on the desktop, files, and my new broadband connection. I want to use kazaa, internet explorer, and MSN messenger. I have done a little research, and found you need a router, and a hub. It is all really confusing, and i have seen all in one units. I need help on choosing one. Ideally i need a cheap one that will work, i have seen some good ones on ebuyer. Please could someone reccomend a good combined unit or seperate ones from ebay.
Thanks very Much
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Making a Home network with Broadband

> Hi,
> Im new to broadband, and i need a little help. I have until recently only had the one computer, but now i have 2, a desktop and a laptop. I have the Plusnet Home self install. Now that I have two computers i really need a basic home network. I wish to share the printer on the desktop, files, and my new broadband connection. I want to use kazaa, internet explorer, and MSN messenger. I have done a little research, and found you need a router, and a hub. It is all really confusing, and i have seen all in one units. I need help on choosing one. Ideally i need a cheap one that will work, i have seen some good ones on ebuyer. Please could someone reccomend a good combined unit or seperate ones from ebay.
> Thanks very Much

Angela

You can get router and hub all built in to the same device. I am using a DSL 504 unit here which is a ADSL modem/router with 4 output ports on it.

With this device I can have up to 4 machines all connected to the net at the same time and share file or printers betwwen the machines.
In other words I have a home network which does everything that you stated above.

There are several multiport routers available at prices of well below £100 these days and they are very easy to set up.

Have a look ad the www.adslguide.org.uk for information and reviews on the types available.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

A netgear dg814 is a good choice and works well.

Not a hub is not the same as a router and switch(like the netgear).

A Hub is passive and therefore one port can swamp another a switch keeps the port seperate so this doesnt happen So cheap isnt good.

> > Hi,
> > Im new to broadband, and i need a little help. I have until recently only had the one computer, but now i have 2, a desktop and a laptop. I have the Plusnet Home self install. Now that I have two computers i really need a basic home network. I wish to share the printer on the desktop, files, and my new broadband connection. I want to use kazaa, internet explorer, and MSN messenger. I have done a little research, and found you need a router, and a hub. It is all really confusing, and i have seen all in one units. I need help on choosing one. Ideally i need a cheap one that will work, i have seen some good ones on ebuyer. Please could someone reccomend a good combined unit or seperate ones from ebay.
> > Thanks very Much
>
>
> Angela
>
> You can get router and hub all built in to the same device. I am using a DSL 504 unit here which is a ADSL modem/router with 4 output ports on it.
>
> With this device I can have up to 4 machines all connected to the net at the same time and share file or printers betwwen the machines.
> In other words I have a home network which does everything that you stated above.
>
> There are several multiport routers available at prices of well below £100 these days and they are very easy to set up.
>
> Have a look ad the www.adslguide.org.uk for information and reviews on the types available.
>
>
> --
> Regards
> John
> http://www.hmrg.co.uk

stonechat
Grafter

HI

I use Solwise SAR715
Inlcudes router and 4 Ethernet ports