cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macs and Broadband

N/A

Macs and Broadband

Hi

As i write this i am using a fairly old G4 733 with my broadband connection, the connection does not feel as quick as on my windows machine.

Not knowing anything about MACS i notice that it is connected via DHCP is this ok?

Regards

[Moderator's note (by csogilvie): Please do not use all capitals in post topics, it is considered shouting and rude.]
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Macs and Broadband

DHCP has nothing to do with your broadband connection. It is a protocol that allows your router/modem to allocated IP address to the PCs/Macs connected to it automatically and to setup the gateway and DNS IP addresses that your PC/Mac needs to access the internet..

Try plusnets speed test - click on connection settings on the right then click the bandwidth speed test. Do this several times then report back with the figures.

You can also try the ADSLguide speedtest which tests upload and download speeds.
N/A

Macs and Broadband

Got ya the speed seems ok now apart from Safari crashing things are going well.
N/A

Macs and Broadband

Just wondering if you have the latest version,as I have never had Safari crash

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Macs and Broadband

Hi

the safari version is 1.0.2, the mac i am using is a friends and i am evaluating it before i buy a G5 this summer.

I'm pretty sure this is an old version hence the problems as is the version of OSX which is 10.2.8. Out of curiosity are you using 10.3.3. as i am told that this is quick compared to the earlier versions.

Regards
N/A

Macs and Broadband

Hi

The latest version of Safari and the one I am using is "1.2.1 (v125.1)"
I am using 10.3.3 but that is a recent upgrade ( last month),and to be honest I have'nt noticed a great deal of difference in actual speed,I think most of the improvements are in the software and applications,but there again I am running on minimal memory at the moment (256Mb) so if I fill the slots up then I may notice a difference.The only thing you need to watch with 10.3,and it may not effect you;but they have dropped OS 9 which proved a bit of a problem for me as number of my astronomy programmes require that,but I got around that by installing OS 9 off my OS 10.2 installation disc so solved that problem.But they have included X11 which opens up the possability of even more programmes so I guess things balance out.

I think you will like the G5, it was unfortunate for me that my Windows box died and funds would not stretch to a G5 at the time,and I settled for a G4 Power PC (no regrets at all in the end),and to vouch for the stability I bought it in September and last month was the first time it has been shut down,in response to the "you need to re-start your computer" message when installing OS 10.3
N/A

Macs and Broadband

thanks for the reply Sunhouse.

OS9 i will never need and yes the G5 will be amazing just waiting on apple to announce the new ones at WWDC in June.

I also agree that the Powermac G4 is still a great machine i recently messed about on a G4 Imac and that was fast.

Regards
N/A

Macs and Broadband

Hi there,

How much memory do you have on your G4?

I have 1Gb on my Powerbook G4/400 MHz, you can see Safari being greedy with memory the more you use it!

I would recommend a minimum of 512Mb to get your Mac running smoothly without too much HD paging. A 1Gb upgrade was as noticable to general performance as the 10.2 to 10.3 upgrade was.

Regards,

Martin
N/A

Macs and Broadband

Hi

The mac had 1.25 Gb its gone back to its owner now, stuck with windowz until WWDC.