cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac user and a ADSL newbie

N/A

Mac user and a ADSL newbie

Yep....

I am a Mac OSX user who signed up about 3 weeks ago, got my connection a week ago, finally got my NetGear DG814 router Tuesday. Set up was quite easy (25 minutes - that includes getting the kit out of the box) and I haven't lost a connection in over 4 days (well except for that downtime yesterday for about 4 hours - I know those events are hard to control, however your notice was a little on the poor side PlusNet)......

Anyhow, overall, I am very happy with PlusNet, have been downloading and uploading without a glitch since yesterday (Tues & Wed) upload speeds were around 5-7kbps which is too slow, but I uploaded a fairly chunky file last night without a major hassle.

Let's hope this bigger pipe they are talking about gets hooked up sooner rather than later.

Oh - I don't even bother with phone support now - email is far better. Have Plusnet thought about introducing a 'call back' facility to stop the pure frustration that waiting on the phone for a minimum of 30 minutes causes? Think of it like this, would PlusNet tech reps like to talk with a customer who is 'hot headed' or 'relaxed'? Only a suggestion.

Regards

Shawno
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Mac user and a ADSL newbie

> Yep....
>
> I am a Mac OSX user who signed up about 3 weeks ago, got my connection a week ago, finally got my NetGear DG814 router Tuesday. Set up was quite easy (25 minutes - that includes getting the kit out of the box) and I haven't lost a connection in over 4 days (well except for that downtime yesterday for about 4 hours - I know those events are hard to control, however your notice was a little on the poor side PlusNet)......
>
> Anyhow, overall, I am very happy with PlusNet, have been downloading and uploading without a glitch since yesterday (Tues & Wed) upload speeds were around 5-7kbps which is too slow, but I uploaded a fairly chunky file last night without a major hassle.
>
> Let's hope this bigger pipe they are talking about gets hooked up sooner rather than later.
>
> Oh - I don't even bother with phone support now - email is far better. Have Plusnet thought about introducing a 'call back' facility to stop the pure frustration that waiting on the phone for a minimum of 30 minutes causes? Think of it like this, would PlusNet tech reps like to talk with a customer who is 'hot headed' or 'relaxed'? Only a suggestion.
>
> Regards
>
> Shawno
>

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. The outage yesterday was unfortunately an unpredictable one as the scheduled maintenance should not have resulted in a loss of service, we've taken steps to address this with BT.

The new pipe will be online very soon which should alleviate the speed problems that many customers are experiencing, although we are not running at capacity at the moment hence the ongoing investigations on BT's equipment.

We've recently recruited many more staff for the support centre and waiting times this week have mostly been no more than 15 minutes so you should now find there isn't a long wait to speak to us. Of course if you have connectivity you can always use the Contact Us system which lets you see all amendments made to your account as well as raising support queries which can then be escalated to any department in the company. We do call customers back if a particular problem warrants it but initial raising of a problem must always be done by calling in or through Contact Us.

We're always open to new ideas so if you have any suggestions for improvements here is a good place to raise them Smiley Many new features or changes that have been implemented have come from ideas suggested by our customers.

Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

> Hi there,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. The outage yesterday was unfortunately an unpredictable one as the scheduled maintenance should not have resulted in a loss of service, we've taken steps to address this with BT.
>
> The new pipe will be online very soon which should alleviate the speed problems that many customers are experiencing, although we are not running at capacity at the moment hence the ongoing investigations on BT's equipment.
><SNIP>

> Regards,
> Rob
> --
> | Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
>

There was a follow-up posting in the PlusNet ADSLguide forum, regarding the outage and the BT Home Gateway utilisation problem.
Josh Kelly of PlusNet Tech Support, posted this on Fri 16-August at 02:16:39

"Hi there,

We are planning to move the DSL service across to our own managed routers but this is by no means a simple task. Work is already underway in this direction and the addition of the new pipe later this month will aid us in this (no loss of service at all as we swap one pipe over).

Josh
Customer Support "

From Josh's post, I would guess that very harsh words were spoken with BT about the Home Gateway and the BT "investigation" which caused the outage.

Steve
aka "3Wheeler"
N/A

Sorry Josh!

I should have typed Josh Berry not Josh Kelly.

Steve
aka "3Wheeler"