cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MTU

jlpappin
Grafter

MTU

I downloaded DrTCP for the hell of it but it only sees my network card when I run it. How do I get it to see my ADSL modem? I am using an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem.
24 REPLIES
espresso_mick
Grafter

RE: MTU

It should see everything.

What is in the pull down menu for adapter settings?
N/A

DrTCP doesn't see USB devices. As far as I can see Alcatel Speedtouch as most of the USB modems doesn't have MTU value in registry by default either. I'm not sure if adding one won't be simply ignored by the driver. I've added MTU key for my both computers and modems (Alcatel Speedtouch and Samsung EH 310), don't see any difference. Then I again, I think I proved Plusnet is throttling speed of some exchanges or maybe ip ranges in my previous posts.
Try uploading a file and downloading it from your webspace at ftp.plus.net and then download similar sized file from some fast public ftp - demon or ftp.mirror.ac.uk. If your download from ftp.plus.net is at close to full speed and download from external site is slower Plusnet is simply saving bandwith on you...

N/A

> DrTCP doesn't see USB devices. As far as I can see Alcatel Speedtouch as most of the USB modems doesn't have MTU value in registry by default either. I'm not sure if adding one won't be simply ignored by the driver. I've added MTU key for my both computers and modems (Alcatel Speedtouch and Samsung EH 310), don't see any difference. Then I again, I think I proved Plusnet is throttling speed of some exchanges or maybe ip ranges in my previous posts.
> Try uploading a file and downloading it from your webspace at ftp.plus.net and then download similar sized file from some fast public ftp - demon or ftp.mirror.ac.uk. If your download from ftp.plus.net is at close to full speed and download from external site is slower Plusnet is simply saving bandwith on you...
>
>

I use a zoom usb adsl modem for ADSl and drtcp sees it fine so it must see USB devices.
N/A

> I downloaded DrTCP for the hell of it but it only sees my network card when I run it. How do I get it to see my ADSL modem? I am using an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem.

Jason,

What version of Windows are you running?

Tim
N/A

I've also downloaded DrTCP cos my download speed from some sites seems to be low, a mate down the road as downloaded a file from a ftp site hes getting 58kb/s from the same ftp site mine starts off at 50kb/s odd then dieds down to about 30kb/s, so i loaded up DrTCP and changed the value Dail up (RAS) MTU to 1458 and that made a difference it seems to hold about 51kb/s but i think it's still not good so what value does everybody else use i have a ADSL USB modem.
N/A

> I downloaded DrTCP for the hell of it but it only sees my network card when I run it. How do I get it to see my ADSL modem? I am using an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to regedit-

PLEASE BACKUP THE REGISTRY FIRST

Then make sure you are connected to plusnet

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
Click on each interface and look for IP address 195... on you have found the correct Interface- Right click on the right hand side window and choose new ---> DWord and call it MTU then double click on MTU and choose Decimal and enter in 1458

after this reboot

THis is based on 2000/XP but should be the same for 98 etc. but not sure-

Good Luck
N/A

> > I downloaded DrTCP for the hell of it but it only sees my network card when I run it. How do I get it to see my ADSL modem? I am using an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem.
>
> > I downloaded DrTCP for the hell of it but it only sees my network card when I run it. How do I get it to see my ADSL modem? I am using an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem.
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Go to regedit-
>
> PLEASE BACKUP THE REGISTRY FIRST
>
> Then make sure you are connected to plusnet
>
> Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
> Click on each interface and look for IP address 195... on you have found the correct Interface- Right click on the right hand side window and choose new ---> DWord and call it MTU then double click on MTU and choose Decimal and enter in 1458
>
> after this reboot
>
> THis is based on 2000/XP but should be the same for 98 etc. but not sure-
>
> Good Luck

I am also having trouble, I have the Conexant PCI adsl modem, and the 'Accessrunner' software, the modem does not show in Dr TCP, and neither are there any entrys for my ADSL 'Network Connection' the the registry (see above post),

How do I change my MTU value?

Thanks for any help in advance! Smiley
N/A

I am fairly new to all this techy stuff, I have a question, if I downloaded the DrTCP to c drive and made the changes to the MTU and W-(whatever it was) and then deleted the DrTCP would that get rid of the settings? You know what it's like, us noobs go off and do things, panic and end up having to buy a new pc!! (be gentle)
espresso_mick
Grafter

Your settings would remain if you un-installed DrTCP.

DrTCP probably wont show you the actual name of your device (ZOOM, Alcatel etc). It should at least say dial up adapter somewhere in the pull down menu. If it does, select that one.

You should also experiment with the settings for RWIN (TCP Recieve Window).

My current settings are: -

MTU - 1458
RWIN - 12762

I am using a ZOOM USB modem.
N/A

> > Go to regedit-
> >
> > PLEASE BACKUP THE REGISTRY FIRST
> >
> > Then make sure you are connected to plusnet
> >
> > Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
> > Click on each interface and look for IP address 195... on you have found the correct Interface- Right click on the right hand side window and choose new ---> DWord and call it MTU then double click on MTU and choose Decimal and enter in 1458
> >
> > after this reboot
> >
> > THis is based on 2000/XP but should be the same for 98 etc. but not sure-
> >
> > Good Luck
>
>
>
> I am also having trouble, I have the Conexant PCI adsl modem, and the 'Accessrunner' software, the modem does not show in Dr TCP, and neither are there any entrys for my ADSL 'Network Connection' the the registry (see above post),
>
> How do I change my MTU value?
>
> Thanks for any help in advance! Smiley

---------------------------------------------------

I have the Conexant USB adsl modem-(similar config as the pci)- Once you log onto DSL one the interfaces in the Above reg key will have an IP address of 195.*.*.*

You will then need to created a new Dword called MTU and give it a decimal value of 1458-

The interfaces all have a number like {224D67C9-E629-4BBC-BBC6-B621015ADD04}and the ADSL modem PCI or USB are not named- the only way to identify then is to find the IP address that you have currently eg. 195.*.*.*

Hope this helps
N/A

So can I just download Drtcp again and re-enter those figures??

espresso_mick
Grafter

>
> So can I just download Drtcp again and re-enter those figures??
>
>

Yes.
N/A

Cheers m8, will give it a try tonight!

espresso_mick
Grafter

>
> Cheers m8, will give it a try tonight!
>
>
>

No problem,m8