cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSR Reset???

cranwin
Dabbler

MSR Reset???

Could anyone tell me if there is a trick to getting your MSR increased following a fault repair on your line?

I have been with Plusnet for just over a month now and I have had to get BT out (PN support was just too slow) to fix a problem on my line that was causing a lot of noise and therefore a very low MSR (500 Kbps)

Now that the fault has seemingly been fixed how can I find out what speed my line can support and how do I get my MSR increased?

Any suggestions gratefully received.....

PS BT have suggested that my line should support about 6500 Kbps
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

MSR Reset???

I suspect that there is a bit of confusion. As far as i know the MSR (minimum stable rate) is the speed below which BT will accept that there is a fault.
What you should be looking at is your Stable Rate as given by this https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
This is fixed by your connection speed. Can you advise what your connection speed and possibly noise margin are. From this it is possible to estimate what the stable rate should be
cranwin
Dabbler

MSR Reset???

OK! to avoid any confusion the following results are the last test which PN conducted on my line before the fault was fixed last week.

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
NTE In Service
NTE Power On
Bypass Not Activated
MUX In Service
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 13 dB
Margin 21 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 152463
Speed 288 k
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 26 dB
Margin 24 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 819938
Speed 576 k

Following the fault being fixed last week, the sync speed has not increased at all, and I dont know about the noise margin at the moment because I cant access my Router, I will add my current router stats later today.
Community Veteran

MSR Reset???

My feeling from the upload figure is that you are on a fixed speed connection not MaxDSL.
Will be interested to see what your router says as if it is fixed speed this will be defined by the attenuation not by the margin and can only be changed by PlusNet/BT
cranwin
Dabbler

MSR Reset???

Well here are the router stats. Think you may be right about the fixed speed connection....

Port......TxPkts....RxPkts.....Coll...TxB/s.....RxB/s
WAN......3348 .....4012..........0......15.........75
LAN.......3015.....2412............0......54........12
WLAN...2365......1515..........0......37.........7

ADSL Link....................Downstream....Upstream
Connection Speed........576 kbps ........288 kbps
Line Attenuation...........15.5 db ...........10.5 db
Noise Margin.................30.3 db ...........25.0 db
Community Veteran

MSR Reset???

Given those stats I would just ask to be put on MaxDSL and that should sort it out.
Otherwise just raise a ticket asking why you are still on such a low fixed speed
cranwin
Dabbler

MSR Reset???

MaxDSL is what I siged up for....

why is it that I can get better support from these Forums than from PN SupportHuhHuh?
N/A

MSR Reset???

Yep sadly you are absolutely NOT on ADSLMax and are infact on Fixed 512k. The clear telltale is the upload sync.

Put in a ticket for a MAX upgrade and that should sort it mate.

And yes, PN support is non existent these days.. After 3yrs with PN i'm getting close Migrating away.. Maybe in the next few weeks or so.
cranwin
Dabbler

MSR Reset???

PN dont believe it and have told me that I must pewrform BT speedtests before thay will raise a fault with BT...

Why is it that I am paying PN and I am having to do all of the faultfinding, line testing, and asking questions....

think I may be getting a little peed off and may well be migrating soon as well
Community Veteran

MSR Reset???

The BT speed test is useful, if you can make it work, as it also gives the BRAS speed which is essentially what limits your connection.
However the point here is not the download speed but the connection speed - can I suggest replying pointing this out as it has nothing to do with download speed.
Perhaps one of the PlusNet reps on here can pick this up.
Why don't you pm bobpullen who has been fairly active recently
cranwin
Dabbler

MSR Reset???

Have already done this, I have sent files containing all of my router statistics.... To be honest from the replies I got I dont think PN suppot even looked at them.

I am doing the BT speed tests today, so I will see what sort of response I get.

Thanks for the suggestion of contacting Bob Pullen..
N/A

MSR Reset???

PN dont believe it and have told me that I must pewrform BT speedtests before thay will raise a fault with BT...

Why is it that I am paying PN and I am having to do all of the faultfinding, line testing, and asking questions....

think I may be getting a little peed off and may well be migrating soon as well

Don't believe what? That you are on a fixed line product and not MAX? That won't be hard for them to check, or see from the fact you have 288k upload.

PlusNet is just a joke now. I can't wait till everybody finally decides to leave them. Maybe then they will change their ways and be the ISP they used to be, but sadly I doubt very much they will be what they used to be.

They are losing another loyal customer ie me in the next few weeks. Been with PlusNet for 3yrs and feel that the lack of support is just rediculous. They will do you ABSOLUTELY NO FAVORS!!!!