cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN voice chat problems.

N/A

MSN voice chat problems.

Hey, wheneva I try to use MSN wiuth voice chat it come back as "connection failed" two of my freinds who live up the road and are on 512k NTL connections seem to be able to use voice perfectly. Is this something to do wif you connection speeds or do I need to bitch at MSN about it? I was told it could be my firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) if this is the case does ne1know wot ports need to be opened ? wot settings need to be changed?
Thanks guys,
hope someone can help so i can use my shiny brand spanking new mic.
7 REPLIES
N/A

How about learn mode

Hasn't pro got a learning mode so that it auto-configures and learns it's way around ?
Community Veteran

MSN voice chat problems.

I struggled for a long time to get MSN Messenger to allow me to use voice messaging.

If you are using a router with NAT (Network Address Translation) then this plays havoc with the voice facility.
You need to have a router that is uPnP (Universal Plug and Play) enabled and an operating system that can recognize it i.e. windows Xp and I do believe that Windows ME does as well but not sure on that.

I could not make it work at all with Windows 98se no matter how I configured the port forwarding.

Changed to Xp and changed my router for a uPnP one and it works a treat allowing me to have audio video chats.
N/A

MSN voice chat problems.

Yeah ZAP has that stuff. It pops up on new progarms and says "wanna let this access the net" all of the standard access options are enabled for MSN. But still my voice chat isnt working. I thort maybe something more specific needed to be adjusted.
Im using a WinXP machine with that Binatone 500 or woteva its called modem, plugged straight into the fone socket.
N/A

MSN voice chat problems.

Maybe the default rules that ZAP setup for MSN don't cater for the extra ports and traffic needed.

Have you tried, setting the firewall to allow all for a few moments? that will tell you whether it's a firewall problem or not. (but don't forget to switch the firewall back on)
N/A

MSN voice chat problems.

make sure you're using at least version6 of MSN Messenger
N/A

MSN voice chat problems.

Never used ZA but Norton Firewall needs configuring to allow voice messages.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/4a29389c214c78ea88256c75005f451a/b171aa55f378cc8b88256b...
N/A

MSN voice chat problems.

I got the same problem with MSN too. It doesnt like my webcam neither. Evil