cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN v6 and D-link 500 router crashes?

Cathotel
Grafter

Curious to know if anyone has experienced similar ADSL router crashes since upgrading to MSN Messenger v6? 50/50 as to whether the router is forced into a disconnect state when attempting voice or video or even changing the default picture!.

From this condition a 'connect' via the router diagnostic page doesn't restore. The only thing that does is a re-boot. Hence I have reverted to previous version 5 for now. This effect happens from XP home, Professional and Win98SE all connect via a 4 port switch to the router.

Just curious that's all.

Thanks
19 REPLIES
N/A

It may be worth calling D-link support on 0800 917 5063

It's free, and will likely help a lot.
N/A

i tried msn 6 for a while with the 500 and had no difficulties (other than not having file sharing set up)while changing the picture or any of the things you described i had no crashes of which you speak, although i didnt like msn 6 so i, myself, have gone back to msn 5.

marc
Cathotel
Grafter

Microsoft does it again - I am told...

Just for info here is D-Link's reply...

Pete

Thank you for contacting the technical support of D-Link.

My suggestion is that you wait with MSN 6 until microsoft or someone else
remove all the bugs that's in that product...

We are working on finding the errors that they have made and have so far
found and manually corrected over 100 errors in their source code and the
products still crashes.

So my best suggestion for you is....await the new version of MSN because
what they have made publically available is "bad" to put it mildly....(they
are trying to connect with as many parts of wirdows as possible and thereby
loses the actually number one nessesity....actually ability to go online and
stay there regardless of internet connection and products...) Smiley
N/A

I use it successfully with a dsl-504, which is apparently almost exactly the same. But if it's a known bug - at least that's something.
Community Veteran

Thanks for posting the results from D-Link. Very interesting.
I upgraded to 6 but it still did not solve the voice / file problems over a D-Link router with NAT.
Don't have MSN installed at all at the moment but looks like I'll put 5 back when I re-install.
N/A

I had the same nat problems with my 504. To fix it, I put this PC in the DMZ Zone Smiley It's very, very unsafe and stupid, but it works. And I figure as long as I run zonealarm, no serious harm can come.
Cathotel
Grafter

Thanks

Yep, seems there is a series II version and the firmware update aren't compatible just to add confusions so D-Link aren't quite 'clean' but even with the latest for mine it still randomly crashed. I'll stick with 5.o for now though!

Cheers,

Pete
N/A

I found a site which listed all of the dsl-500 and 504's hardware [genI and II] and any advantages / disadvantages they had :

here
Community Veteran

I've got the series II version 504 and I still can't make it send voice.
It all seems like it's going to work but after saying "Connecting with remote computer" then says "connection ended" pretty soon after?
This was with MSN6 and Windows 98se.
Also tried the DMZ option but only with MSN5 and the earlier D-Link 504 but that still didn't work?
Haven't tried that with 6 and this Generation II so may give that a go next.
N/A

Yeah, I only tried the dmz zone way with msn6. Obviously, make sure those ports aren't beind forwarded to the wrong address [otherwise the dmz zone doesn't forward them to your machine].
Community Veteran

Yes had it set to forward to the IP address of this machine but it still didn't allow voice use.
Does the Generation II work with MSN6 and DMZ for voice?
N/A

Yep - my Dsl-504 Gen II [with no port forwarding settings set, just DMZ zone to this PC] worked with MSN6 voice + video.
Community Veteran

Fine thanks for that info.
Ill have to investigate this then and see if it works Ok for me.
N/A

This sounds like lies on the part of D-link.

While there answer may be very helpful and honest, it also tries to pin blame elsewhere for more serious problems.

D-link as stating that MS Windows is triggering bugs (over 100 of them) in there device.

These are bugs that shouldn't exist, regardless of MS's rushing programming efforts

This is major, becuase something as simple as discarding data that it feels is invalid or errornous, is causing a major DOS attack on your connection.