cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Messenger

smillie-world
Grafter

MSN Messenger

Is anyone having problems with MSN Messenger continually dropping out? I'm using v7.5, and have been for a while.

Over the last week or two it's strated dropping out for no reason. It used to work fine. I've not changed any settings, souch as router, firewall etc...
16 REPLIES
N/A

MSN Messenger

I've had no problems with MSN Messenger, and I'm on V7.5 too.
I suggest you post to the microsoft.public.msn.messenger newsgroup on the msnews.microsoft.com server.
Some one there should be able to help you.
HTH
Mike
LiamM
Grafter

MSN Messenger

MSN isn't hugely reliable. I spend a good 12 hours of my day logged in and it drops my connection on average once or twice every couple of days - it's no great shakes, i can sign back in simply enough.

Constant network traffic such as IM is bound to hiccup occasionally - it is to be expeced.
Midville
Grafter

MSN Messenger

Its fine here for me too. No major problems at all.
smillie-world
Grafter

MSN Messenger

Thanks everyone...

It's dropping every couple of minutes or so. I switched back to Windows Messenger and that didn't experience the same sort of problems.

I presume both Messengers (MSN and Windows) use the same servers, ports etc to connect and communicate?
LiamM
Grafter

MSN Messenger

Im not sure they do tbh, because MSN Messenger is blocked at a Uni my friend goes to, but Windows Messenger works fine.

Are you running a firewall? AV Software? Certainly sounds like an issue that needs looking into... Dropping every 2 minutes is not normal.
smillie-world
Grafter

MSN Messenger

I am using a firewall (one on my router and a software one on the PC), and virus software.

As mentioned before, it was all working fine up until a week or so ago... Nothing has changed, apart from regular anti-virus updates, hence the reason why I don't suspect the firewalls or virus software.

Gonna do some digging one networks used for both Messengers, unless someone already knows the anserws.
N/A

MSN Messenger

I've had similar issues with MSN Messenger recently. On the whole, my Internet connection with PlusNet is very reliable but MSN Messenger does seem to drop an awful amount of times. It's annoying for me, having to sign back in, and its annoying for my MSN Messenger contacts who keep seeing me sign in over and over again.

I even tried using another IM client to connect to the MSN Messenger network. Connecting with Trillian produces the same problems, so I have been unable to determine whether it is my Internet connection, or whether it is a problem between PlusNet and MSN.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Smiley
smillie-world
Grafter

MSN Messenger

Sounds exactly like my problem, everything else is fine, just the Messenger service is playing up.

When I mentioned earlier that Windows Messenger seemed stable, it was pulling my leg, not long after posting this topic, it started being very naughty.

This is what I've noticed, if you have a conversation window open, it all looks good, no matter how long you leave it (sometimes I have long periods of silence with my friends, don't ask...), then, as soon as you start to type something in the window, the conversation drops out. Now, from what I can gather, it is apparent to my friends that the conversation dropped a while ago, and they think I haven't bothered to sign back in.
N/A

MSN Messenger

This is what I've noticed, if you have a conversation window open, it all looks good, no matter how long you leave it (sometimes I have long periods of silence with my friends, don't ask...), then, as soon as you start to type something in the window, the conversation drops out. Now, from what I can gather, it is apparent to my friends that the conversation dropped a while ago, and they think I haven't bothered to sign back in.

Yes, that's the exact problem I've been having. At least I know I'm not alone with this.

It's also not just happening on one computer. If I use my laptop on the same network, the same thing happens. Sad
smillie-world
Grafter

MSN Messenger

Do you use a router? I use a wired four port router. I was doing some reading and I was wondering whether it may have been becuase of that. Messenger's network connectivity options show it as being non-UPnP. But that doesn't explain the good days and the bad days.
N/A

MSN Messenger

I use a wired 4 port router, as well as a wireless access point.

I will play with the uPnP options on my access point (I can't find any options on my router) and let you know how I fare.
N/A

MSN Messenger

I'm now borrowing another ADSL modem router from work to see if it was my router which was causing the problem.

I will let you know how it goes.
smillie-world
Grafter

MSN Messenger

Much appreciated. Never thoguht of trying that myself (doh), I can easily get my hands on one from work... Will see if I get one for the weekend.
N/A

MSN Messenger

The new idle timeout maybe?