cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Messenger - unable to send files - please help

N/A

I have just installed a Netgear DM602 onto the USB (couldnt get it to work on Network card for some reason) and I cant send file attachments via Messenger

i dont have a firewall on and plusnet technical say that i have no restrictions on my account so it should be ok

anyone come accross this and how to fix it
25 REPLIES
N/A

I have a Netgear RT338 ISDN IP Router, and have experience the same problem.

However, since MSN updated their MSN Messenger software I can now send files and things, but I have to initiate the transfer, be it a file, chat, or video

In-coming will fail straight away, although occasionally the odd file will transfer in, but rarely.

Dave
N/A

i have the latest version of messenger but it is windows messenger i am using if that makes a difference
N/A

MSN messenger and Windows Messenger, I thought they were the same thing; or am I wrong.....? :?

Dave
N/A

i think i have found out what it is but i dont have the cure - on setting up the dm602 if i set it as a modem it sets up LLC-Based multiplexing and i cant connect at all to the internet - if i change it to a router the multiplexing is VC-Based and i can connect but an internal firewall starts up in the DM602 which I cant turn off - I have emailed Netgear in a hope that they can sort this sorry mess out for me
N/A

MSN messenger and Windows Messenger, I thought they were the same thing; or am I wrong.....? :?

Dave
N/A

They are now, and I have a fealing MSN messenger will be shipped in XP SP2 (not SP2a ot SP2b. These will be intermediate service packs, should MS need to resolve there Java dispute).

They are still very different though. The original being more intergrated with windows.
Simon_M
Grafter

Similar, but different! MSN Messenger is for Win 9.x & Windows Messenger is for Win XP.

If you register via a .NET passport, or Hotmail address, they have pretty much the same functionality. However, MSN Messenger up to version 4.x & Windows Messenger both also support registering with a 3rd party Communication Service. This has been dropped from MSN Messenger version 5.x.

So if you want the Messenger facilities, but don't want to work through Microsoft's servers, avoid version 5 of MSN Messenger.

The Communication Service is based on the SIP protocol to establish presence (i.e. your availability status) & is an open standard. There are several free registration servers available or some SOHO routers like the Intertex IX-66 have their own SIP server built in.

HTH

Simon
N/A

I have the same problem because of my router (Netgear DG814). I can't do anything that requries a direct connection (file transfer, video, voice) however it all works perfectly if I use Netmeeting. Yahoo messenger also manages to send files etc with no problems. The odd thing is that I can sometimes send files and only receive them from certain people (I can receive from someone on AOL broadband, not from someone on AOL dialup or AOL isdn and I can't receive from BT dialup or broadband. it's very strange and i'm not sure why it should matter. let's hope that MS can get it sorted for MSN 6 Cheesy
Community Veteran

That's all alot of people say about M$ products.... "let's hope it gets sorted by version 27984..."

Sorry, just had to say that. Wink

Thomas
N/A

yup Smiley i'm not sure why MS can't manage it if Yahoo can though..
stonechat
Grafter

Messenger file transfer

Shouldn't htis be possible with uPnP?

Bob
N/A

That is if the reouter supports it - Havn't checked the model.

Yahoo! suppots it, because of the way they use there server as centraly as possible.

If direct comms one way can't be used, the connection is reversed. If that still isn't possible, then the Yahoo! servers are used as a relay.

As for voice comms, they are allways routed through the Yahoo! voice servers.
N/A

Yes, MSN say that it should work if the router is uPnP compatable but I dont think mine is.. Sad
N/A

This is a port issue on your netgear router, Caused by NAT. I am running Netgear Dg814 router/modem connected to a Netgear MR314 wirless router. I had the same initial problems. But it can be cleared up using the following guidlines.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/wor...

hopes this helps.