cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX Question

N/A

MAX Question

Simple question to the good people on here...

Currently on day 7 since I was upgraded to Max. Nothing nasty has happened, router connects at 3744 ish, stable rate shows 3000, and has done since I was maxed, but download speeds only top out at 1900kb/s. Is this normal?

The lines been nice and stable, with the lowest connection at about 3500.

I understand that I'm not out of the 10 day period yet, so I guess that may have something to do with it, but I thought if the stable rate shows 3000, that's the speed I should download at?

Thanks!
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

MAX Question

Unfortunately this seems to be a standard problem which is either due to contention at your exchange or within PlusNet.
I have a stable rate of 3,000 kbps and speed tests give just over 2,000kbps
shellsong
Grafter

MAX Question

Yup, I have a stable rate of 8000 Kbps and bbmax shows my download rate as 3569 Kbps at present
N/A

MAX Question

So what's to be done about it? Sad
shellsong
Grafter

MAX Question

Nothing! If it's BT local contention they won't do anything about it unless the BT Speedtester shows lower than 400 Kbps

As I understand it MaxDSL is showing up inadequacies in BT's backhaul bandwidth whereas the bottle neck used to be at the DSLAMs and they could offset that by spreading customers between DSLAMs if they had enough
N/A

MAX Question

How can I tell if its the exchange? I can look on the exchange status but I don't know what info I need.
shellsong
Grafter

MAX Question

You can tell if it's local BT related if the BT Speedtest shows similar download rates to those you've been getting with web based Speedtesters like PlusNet's, ADSLGuide's or bbmax for example

If you don't know how to use the BT Speedtester look here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/speedtest.shtml
N/A

MAX Question

I got 1893 on the BT speedtester, which is pretty much the same as I get on the web based speed testers.

Oh well, it's double my old speed anyway. So I guess I just have to wait for BT to update the exchange a little!
N/A

MAX Question

Sorry to potentially ask a stupid question again, but I've been watching and thinking...

Until a week ago the exchange status showed a max speed of up to 2500, but now it's changed to 4500. I put my previously speed of 1900 down the exchange capacity and resigned myself to it.

I connect at no less than 3500, and sometimes have seen 4500. Stable rate is 3000, and has been since the moment MAX was enabled on the line. The best download I get is 1900, both on the BT speedtest and speedtest.net.

Now that the exchange status has changed from 2500 to 4500, I would have thought the BT speedtest would reflect that with the speed showing closer to the 3000 stable rate. But I get the impression that things aren't that simple...
N/A

MAX Question

Further to this I did the new BT speedtester check today. It said that the IP profile for my line is 2000kbps. Does this mean my line's restricted to that speed by Plus.net?

Currently connected at 3616kbps, but never see more than a 2meg connection speed.

Anyone know what all this means?

Thanks!
hitachi
Grafter

MAX Question

No, it is restricted by BT,that is why your speeds are slow.
Try raising a ticket saying your Bras appears to be stuck can they check it.
N/A

MAX Question

Have you considered that the server which handles the speed test might be the issue.

I have just downloaded Windows XP service pack 2 (266MB). The M.S. server pumped it out at 4.5Mb/s (Microsoft must have big pipes and muscular servers). No other download exceeds 2Mb/s and many are slower than that. My sync speed is 5.8Mb/s.

I find quite a difference in the results of speed tests from one server to another.

The NamesCo speed test (http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/) has checked me out at 4.7Mb/s download but only 363kb/s upload.

:shock:
N/A

MAX Question

Honestly in my experience, NEVER trust ANY speed test from servers you don't know are fast and barely touched.

The BT one for starters told me that my download speed was 1732. Knowing that it was hallucinating I checked on a friends server with 100mbit connection with near zero traffic;

Length: 17,122,258 (16M) [application/x-msdos-program]

100%[====================================>] 17,122,258 564.51K/s ETA 00:00

20:44:57 (523.76 KB/s)

BT speedtester is about as reliable as... well I better not say actually, but still... results from reliable servers are often far better to go by.
N/A

MAX Question

I do find the speedtesters to be a bit variable, but I've found downloading Hi Def trailers from www.apple.com/trailers to be a more reliable test.

I have had the ticket I raised answered but they say that my BRAS profile is 3Mb, but I have never, either by speedtesters, BT speedtester, or any other server, seen a connection speed of more that 1900kbps.

It just seems to be that something is limiting it to 2Mb somewhere, because I would have thought that at some point I would see more that 2Mb speeds. I've even tried at 4am, but same result.

Router's currently connected at 3712kbps which is fairly representative.
N/A

MAX Question

Just tried the Microsoft download but just got the normal speed of an average of 224KB/s