cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC OS X + Router + self install - PLEASE HELP

N/A

MAC OS X + Router + self install - PLEASE HELP

I've had my line upgraded since last September and my router arrived (along with the manual on PC floppy disk!) last October but I'm still not on because I can't do the terminal configuration thingy. My syntax skills are non-existant as I've never had to use anything like that b4.

I think mechanically everything else is OK but this is getting embarrasing and very expensive as i'm paying for a huge phone bill while paying my £35 a month for ADSL too!

Please help!

Graeme
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: MAC OS X + Router + self install - PLEASE HELP

I've never used OS X, but I'm almost certain you dont need to use the terminal to configure a router. I'm unable therefore to give you OS X instructions, but maybe if I tell you what I did on OS 9, you'll know where do to similar in OS X?

Its actually pretty simple. Firstly, I made sure the Ethernet extension(s) were active. Although X doesnt use extensions, does it, so thats probably a moot point? *shrug* Then I went into the TCP/IP control panel, selected Ethernet, then chose DHCP as the connection type, then put in the subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Thats it.

Hope that is useful in some way...sorry I cant be more help. Good luck.
N/A

Well, actually, thats just to get the router and your comp communicating. Once thats done, you'll need to fire up your browser and go to your routers settings page. It should tell you what the address is in your routers documentation.
N/A

Maybe telling us a little bit about your hardware would be a good start (make/model of router?).