cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowering db noise?

N/A

Lowering db noise?

Hello,

Plusnet just did a woosh test revealing that the noise on my line is 50db and therefore the fastest speed I can get is 1mb. However I've recently moved closer to the exchange my previous noise was 47db so why has it gone up?

Also there are numerous people around me that have a 2mb connection some with Plusnet so why am I getting these poor levels?

I have replaced the master socket faceplate with an ADSL face plate and I'm using a Netgear DG834 router - is there anything I can do to lower the db level?
11 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Lowering db noise?

If you mean attenuation, 1Meg on a 50dB attenuation will be pretty much all you can get on a BTW ADSL connection. Unfortunately you cannot change this but in some cases you can do a few things to slightly improve the signal-to-noise ratio (you state you have purchased a filtered faceplate which may be good enough - you should also disconnect the 3rd "bell wire" if you have one)

using a Netgear DG834 router - is there anything I can do to lower the db level?

Post your line statistics (found in the router's web admin pages) and let's have a look
N/A

Lowering db noise?

here are my whoosh test results:

Circuit In Sync
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 27 dB
Cell Count 5585027
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 50 dB
Cell Count 68039148

My Router is in fact a Netgear DG814 so does not seem to show any line statistics.

My adsl socket has three wires that I attached to it for the extensions within the house:

Blue and white into connection marked 2
Orange and White into connection marked 3
White with blue into connection marked 5

Which would be the Bell wire?
Community Veteran

Lowering db noise?

N/A

Lowering db noise?

so if i disconnect 3 will that lower my 50db level, I assume it will also stop all the phones on teh extensions ringing.
N/A

Lowering db noise?

so if i disconnect 3 will that lower my 50db level

No, but it may improve your signal to noise ratio for when you can get faster broadband in the future / putting the case forward to get faster broadband

I assume it will also stop all the phones on teh extensions ringing.

Not if your phones are relatively modern-day, they dont need the 3rd wire these days. This is why I just say "disconnect" the bell wire. If the phones stop ringing afterwards then you can simply reconnect it Smiley
N/A

Lowering db noise?

ok, I'll give it ago.

Also will see if I can borrow a newer router off a friend so I can see the line stats.

Thanks for all the advice. Cheesy
N/A

Lowering db noise?

OK, I now hav a Linksys WAG354G all hooked up and working fine, this router gives me line stats which are:

Downstream Margin: 25 db
Upstream Margin: 26 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 46
Upstream Line Attenuation: 27
Downstream Transmit Power: 0
Upstream Transmit Power: 0

So my Attenuation is stil to high at 46, I've tried chnaging the, microfilter and cable and unhooking the bell wire but the lowest I can get is 46.

Is there anything else I can try?
N/A

Lowering db noise?

With those stats I think you would have a usable 2Mb connection - albeit your SNR ratio would almost half but even so.. Unfortunately you wont get a 2Mb link with those stats on BT

Could PlusNet push something like this through BT? Perhaps?
Community Veteran

Lowering db noise?

Not with a 46dB figure as BT are very strict on not allowing 2Mb connections on any lines above the 43dB limits now - they were less strict earlier in the year but were getting too many failures after upgrade.

There is nothing you can do to change the line attenuation figures as that is governed by your line length to the exchange and quality of your copper wire.
N/A

Lowering db noise?

i'm not even that far from the exchange, about 2km
Community Veteran

Lowering db noise?

You may be only 2KM from the exchange but the route your line takes may be much longer and line quality can also vary alot due to bad/carroded connections or even using aluminium wires in some cases.