cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speed Broadband problem

N/A

Using the speed test, in the past (July) I've achieved speeds of 2760.4Kbs. This seems to have slowly dwindled 'til just now when all I could manage was a poxy 530.4Kbs. I'm using a linksys hg200 wireless router linked to a linksys wmp54g pci card (both 802.11g compliant). Can anybody tell me what's wrong. Could it be contetntion and I'm just testing at a popular time or is it a PC / Link / router problem/ Any ideas to squeeze the last ounce out of my line?

Tia

Sweetchilli
10 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

If you look at posts in this forum and Community Support youll see youre not alone.
500kb/s is pretty good these days at peak time
N/A

Re: Low speed Broadband problem

Using the speed test, in the past (July) I've achieved speeds of 2760.4Kbs. This seems to have slowly dwindled 'til just now when all I could manage was a poxy 530.4Kbs. I'm using a linksys hg200 wireless router linked to a linksys wmp54g pci card (both 802.11g compliant). Can anybody tell me what's wrong. Could it be contetntion and I'm just testing at a popular time or is it a PC / Link / router problem/ Any ideas to squeeze the last ounce out of my line?

Tia

Sweetchilli

To be able to get as much as 503Kbs would be a dream for me!
I am getting 61 (yes 61, not a miss-type) to 120Kbs at the moment.

Sad
flicker
Grafter

OMFG! That even beats my best/worst! This is just so ridiculous! If they don't sort this out pronto, there won't be anyone left, I am giving it till after Christmas now, cant be bothered, got too much else to do, but then I shall look elsewhere if it's not sorted.
N/A

I've just about had enough of plusnet know if they don't come back with a decent answer and resolve, i'll be cancelling my direct debit at the bank for PN and they can whistle for a months notice, i spent 30 mins last night on ther phone waiting to talk to so called customer services, in the end i gave up it's a complete joke.
N/A

90 - 120k for me tonight - a reminder of what dial up used to be like - and the final prod to apply for a MAC key.

I imagine it will take a long time to get - there will be a lot of people leaving Plusnet with performance like this over the past 48 hours.

Doug
N/A

I too was getting acceptable speeds 2-4 mbs until about 3 weeks ago when now in the evening i am getting speeds of 90kbs!!!!!
I raised afult via the broadband fault checker and this told me my local exchange wasv at red status and so suffering contention,due to this PN auto closed the fault!!!!ie they don,t want to know or check if there is problems with their network management or contention in their network,which is likely,what have they turned on or offHuh?
flicker
Grafter

My broadband fault checker showed my exchange is Green, and in nowhere near capacity, and I'm still getting speeds of between 95-180kpbs instead of 1850kpbs during the daytime. They haven't got a clue is my guess. :roll:
N/A

My broadband fault checker showed my exchange is Green, and in nowhere near capacity, and I'm still getting speeds of between 95-180kpbs instead of 1850kpbs during the daytime. They haven't got a clue is my guess. :roll:

More like don't care!
N/A

I think I know now - It's 9.30 on a saturday morning and a quick speed test showed 1.3Mbps. Now I'm a long way from the exchange so I don't expect much more than that - so I reckon it has to be contention.
flicker
Grafter

My speed is still a bit down on what it was a few weeks ago, at this time of day I would always be getting around the 1850kpbs mark, its now down to 1500-ish. However, last night, I checked lots of times, and it never fell below 1282, with a high of 1727 at 7 pm. The night before it was 488 at its highest with the main tests showing 83.3 at 8.30pm! I wonder therefore if it's contention, and the fact that I have been complaining like hell, something was done about it last night here, or maybe just everyone goes out on a Friday so I had the place to myself! :lol: