cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lot of alerts form my ZoneAlarm

N/A

Over the last two days I have had a lot of alerts form my ZoneAlarm firewall telling me that 84.93.159.120 has been blocked :shock: Can anyone tell me please if this is Plus net or is it a definite port scan :?:
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It is one of the IPs in the Broadband Plus Dynamic IP address range so could be from one or many users.

84.93.159.120.plusnet.pte-ag1.dyn.plus.net
N/A

Ok But should I still be blocking this or let it through :?: :?: :?:
N/A

Do you know what it is? No. Is it having any effect on your internet connectivity? No. Would PlusNet be 'port scan'ning you? No.

On balance then I'd say, No, block it. (Also, get a real router rather than relying on software firewalls Smiley)
N/A

OK Thanks. Buy a real router :shock: I'm not made of money :lol:
N/A

N/A

mm I try and save some pennies. Smiley
Community Veteran

(Also, get a real router rather than relying on software firewalls

That's fine for blocking incoming connection attempts but you still need a software firewall for blocking outgoing connections which can't be done easily on router based firewalls.

So, jdb164, don't discard Zonealarm if / when you do decide to invest in a better router.
N/A

No, keep ZoneAlarm even when you have a router. You'll just see all the port 445 connection attempts from wormridden Plusnet Windows XP or 2000 users in your router's log, rather than in ZoneAlarm. Your ZoneAlarm log will be eerily empty...unless you're already wormridden yourself!

Well, not personally of course I wouldn't suggest that...I'll stop now.
N/A

Hay, No offence taken I am sticking with Zone Alarm Pro for now. I must admit that I have had 4 hack attempts to day these were stopped and logged with a product called Spy blocker Pro. I have a registered copy of Spy blocker and found that it works well but this new version is supposed to be better.

All the hacks have come form the plus net dynamic IP address so it could be anyone, however, I did a Virus scan today and found that I had Java/ByteVerify virus on my system.

Thanks to all those that have helped.

John.
N/A

An infection by Java.ByteVerify suggests you have a copy of the Java Vrtual Machine from Microsoft that hasn't been updated. You may get it again if you return to the same website. You might wish to try Sun Java and switch Internet Exploitable over to using that instead of MSJava. Alternatively update MSJava.
N/A

Hi Thanks for that,

Went to the Java site and used the test for Jarva to see which one I have on my PC and it sayes that I am up to date.

Results of test.

Description Your Environment
Java Runtime Vendor:

Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Runtime Version

1.5.0_04

CONGRATULATIONS, you have the Latest version of Java!