cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost connection - Useless customer service

N/A

My broadband connection was suddenly lost this afternoon. I have tested my equipment and it is all working fine. There are no service issues reported on the website.

Exactly the same thing happened little over a month ago. After an appallingly slow process, with the worst level of customer service I have (quite honestly) ever experienced, the connection returned after about 2 weeks.

I need my connection. I have booked the week off work to do research and require the internet for this - I can't afford to waste this time. I ran up huge phone bills last time waiting over an hour at a time and often with no response. I don't want to do the same again. Tickets are answered so slowly I might as well have not sent them. I thought about migrating but even then I'd need to wait 7 days for a MAC.

It's ridiculous that I'm now having to pay by the minute for a dial-up service, when I'm subscribing to 4MB broadband.

Please can you investigate the problem and get my connection working again. I have been with Plus Net for 4 years but the recent service is a joke.

Stephan
40 REPLIES
N/A

I think PN have a free dial-up number when your broadband connection is down.

This should be it 0808 9933270[/b. Someone gave it to me, but I never used it.

I agree that PN' support is a joke!!
N/A

Hi there,

A free dial up is not available until you have been informed of this by the Support Team. Dialing that number without prior authoritisation will simply result in failure to authenticate thus rendering it useless.

Hi Stephan,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

When you say you have lost your connection, is the ADSL / Link light on your modem / router flashing or steady.

As opposed to queuing on the phone system, the easiest and quickest way to report and resolve this issue is via the online help and support system http://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html

This will allow a number of automated tests to be run on your line and the issue raised to the faults team, who you cant speak to on the phone anyway.

Keep us posted with developments and if you need any assistance at all, just shout. Smiley

Good luck.
N/A

Thanks pcsni. I didn't know that!!
N/A

Thanks both of you. The fault has been fixed now anyway.

Stephan
N/A

Good to hear. Smiley
N/A

Re: Lost connection - Useless customer service

My broadband connection was suddenly lost this afternoon. I have tested my equipment and it is all working fine. There are no service issues reported on the website.

Exactly the same thing happened little over a month ago. After an appallingly slow process, with the worst level of customer service I have (quite honestly) ever experienced, the connection returned after about 2 weeks.

I need my connection. I have booked the week off work to do research and require the internet for this - I can't afford to waste this time. I ran up huge phone bills last time waiting over an hour at a time and often with no response. I don't want to do the same again. Tickets are answered so slowly I might as well have not sent them. I thought about migrating but even then I'd need to wait 7 days for a MAC.

It's ridiculous that I'm now having to pay by the minute for a dial-up service, when I'm subscribing to 4MB broadband.

Please can you investigate the problem and get my connection working again. I have been with Plus Net for 4 years but the recent service is a joke.

Stephan

Unfortunately, I've had the same problem. Link seems to have gone down Saturday afternoon, and is not coming back, nothing changed on the setup, phone link is ok, but NO broadband.
I've been a customer of PN since 2000, and am increasingly annoyed at the way they've moved further and further away from the decent customer services to a point where it's impossible to get hold of anyone, and the actual service is abysmal.
Any recommendations for a decent Broadband supplier?
N/A

"I thought about migrating but even then I'd need to wait 7 days for a MAC"

I wonder if you could help me out here, I have no idea how to obtain my MAC code. Can you share your knowledge?

A few years ago, plusnet was one of the top ISPs on ADSL Guide, they're a hell of a long way short of that now but from my point of view, it's over the last 6 months to a year that the decline has really picked up the pace.

It used to be the case that you got a problem, you phoned support, you waited 5 minutes or less, you got through to a nice friendly chap who'd say "Yes we had a network outage, it's coming back now, leave your router off for 15 minutes and it should be fine" - and it usually was.

Sure, there have been two or three week periods of instability which has wound me up no end but in the grand scheme of things, these were blips on the scope. I'm a long term customer.

Now though, they've not so much changed as plain old removed their customer service team. They have by far the worst call distribution system I have ever used, beating BT, Orange and the banks & credit cards I deal with hands down. 3-4-5 levels of useless options leading to recordings or loops.

Not that that matters, for the last year if you were lucky enough to find your way through to a human, they simply denied there could be anything wrong and refused to talk to you until you'd disconnected your printer, relocated your PC to the front of the house, bought a set of new microfilters, unplugged all your phones, borrowed your mate's speedtouch, brushed your teeth, put the kids to bed, popped round to grandmas and tried a different keyboard. The fact your equipment has been working just fine where it is for several years and vindicated on every previous occasion meant nothing.

It also used to be the case that when I was suffering an outage, the ADSL part of the service status page was red, acknowledging a problem. Not now. All the outages I've had over the last year or so have been accompanied by a happy green "everything is just fine" indicator on the status page.

Plusnet no longer seems interested in actually helping you, only stopping you bothering them.

The only reason I didn't leave a couple of months back was because we're about to sell up and move house so Plusnet got one more chance to redeem themselves.

Well, storm hit earlier, broadband has been down since. I recognise this is BT's fault, not plusnet's, but the the sheer amount of grief and lack of any assurance or support I've received this evening is entirely plusnet's fault...but as I say, the decline's been going on a while now so I wasn't surprised.

Searched for my MAC code on this website, found only instructions on moving to plusnet, a move nobody should make until plusnet see the error of their ways and restore support to the, now distant, shining example which made me sign up to them in the first place.
N/A

One tip, call after midnight. Stupid menu system notwithstanding, I did eventually find a decent human being who could fix (plusnet's) problem and got me running again.
I've been hearing good things about Zen Internet, and will be investigating them. I've no idea how to get a MAC, maybe you have to call plusnet directly...do it after midnight though.
N/A

I ended up stuck in a loop. "Press 1 when you're ready to leave a message" I pressed 1, got taken back a step or two, listened to the message again, pressed 1 again to leave my message again...same thing.

Poking around the help system, I did find the MAC code request:-

Help Assistant > Customer Service & Billing > Account Management > Move to Another Broadband Provider

I haven't yet filled in the form as I've no real idea which ISP I'd move to or if I will bother before I move. Someone from PN has at least updated my no connection ticket though not for a few hours now and it's still down.

I looked into a few reputable ISPs as I'm of the view that if I have to pay an extra £10 each month for quality support and a robust service, I will. My trick is, and I used this with plusnet a few years ago, call the ISP in question's technical support line and see how quickly you get through and whether you get a human or not.

If the tech support number is not clearly displayed on their website, don't bother with them, they obviously can't be bothered with you.

I waited for about 12 minutes on Zen's tech support line with no indication of how long I would have to continue waiting so I hung up.

Another problem is that if plusnet prove anything, it's that service can slide from excellent to poor very rapidly, that being the case, I would try to to find an ISP offering monthly contracts in case you end up out of the frying pan and into the fire.

ISPs with a good reputation, offering monthly contracts, who answer their support line quickly and with a human being IN THIS COUNTRY are few & far between.

I can't be the only person willing to pay more for first class customer service.
N/A

I was with claranet, rarely got disconnected. always got to speak to a human, (not always new what they were talking about) but I was paying £29.99 for 512k, and they didn't even try to keep me when I moved house, said I would have to pay to start again,(over £70) So imagine how I feel with this lot, thinking I was making a smart move. I have telewest cable in the house, so at least I have that up my sleeve so to speak.
N/A

Actually I too have Telewest cable...but not DIGITAL Telewest cable. That means that although they send me junk mail about Blueyonder, I can't have it. Twice I have requested it from them, having fallen for their "Your area is now covered" nonsense, only to be told that actually my area (well, I think it's just my particular road) wasn't covered.

What was annoying at the time was that I had specifically ordered TV, Phone & Blueyonder and the order was accepted and the blokes came and did the installation (though that took them about 8 weeks!). I said "what about my cable modem?" - "Oh that's handled by a different team, they should be round in a few days". Needless to say they weren't and after a number of heated exchanges with Telewest, I ended up going ADSL and Plusnet instead so I have no prior experience of ADSL ISPs to share I'm afraid.

I used to use Demon for dialup for many years and they were excellent but their broadband reputation never seems to have been particularly impressive on ADSL guide.
N/A

Glad you posted that, I will check the telewest thing out, I am in Wigan and the telewest admin block is here, so I could call in and talk to someone in person, or maybe they have androids already.
N/A

Ok so start the clock.

I've just requested my MAC code via the form I mentioned above. Average response time to questions is apparently 26 hours. They must have just one poor bloke handling all the support on his own.
penders
Grafter

Same as you - no sync!

Hi, I seem to be having the same problem as stephen, theless and others (AGAIN)! Last month I had ZERO connection (no sync at all) for about 5 days! And now again this month, for the last couple of days, I have ZERO connection (no sync at all)! Thing is, in between, I had a reasonably good, fast, stable connection!!! What gives?!

I've currently got a ticket/question open with support - having answered all the questions and everything yesterday, I've heard nothing back today.

I'm currently on the free dial-up! Geez, at least it's free - I'm trying to *work* on this connection!

I have tried all possible wiring possibilities at my end. My mate is a BT engineer (handy!) and has run tests on the line - it's fine! But he got stuck, because it's LLU in the exchange - dang! You know, the fact that PN was IPStream (ie. *NOT* LLU) in the beginning was actually a major reason why I chose them (ie. *YOU*) in the first place! humph!

Sort it out! Please! Pretty please with sugar on top!!